Sienna - three across the third row

AnnD

I am Cdn but think this forum gets a bit more activity - and this isn't Cdn specific (other than I have Cdn seats).

I have a '04 Sienna - captain chairs in the middle row and a bench across the back. The back row has three seat belts (shoulder). It has only two tether positions which Cdns are required to use. Thus, I can only put two seats, side-by-side on the bench with a booster on the driver side (outboard).

I have four little ones - 6 years (43 lbs.) 4years (43 lbs.), 2 years (no clue 35lbs. ish) and 16 month old (no real clue - 28lbs. ish). I currently have the 16mnth old rf (Radian), the 6 year old harnessed in a Frontier - both in the middle captain chairs. The 2 year old is in Radian third row bench, middle position using latch and the 4year old is in a Frontier, harnessed, passenger side third row.

REAL QUESTION - can I get three seats across the back row? The main reason is to allow my elder pair to have play dates so the nanny can transport an extra kiddo (safely of course). As spares, I have a Parkway booster and a Marathon - both good seats, just in the other car.

If I can get three seats - which ones, and in which configuration? I am not certain we can put a rf seat in the back row (would solve the missing upper tether in the third row) as I don't think my nanny (or me) could easily get the babe in the third row rear facing. Our compartment has stuff in it ... namely a double buggy so the third row isn't accessible to go over the back bench.

I am pretty certain the 4 and 6 year old would both fit in the Radians (they are neither heavy or tall) for a bit longer. I would prefer to keep the babe rf until he exceeds the weight limits on my seats (Radian or Marathon - I am Cdn so I believe both my limits are 30lbs. on those seats - we are blowing through the Cdn height 'limit' in the manuals but I am choosing to ignore the manual on the front.) My 6 year is more than competent and responsible to sit in a booster (and would LOVE to be in a booster).

My only idea is two radians across the back row - both using seatbelts (which I have never done) and the Parkway in the non-tether position. Would it work? (The babe would go into the Marathon RF in a captain chair.) One other child in the Frontier. The 2nd Frontier could go into the other car.

Last edited:
ADS

AnnD

I went to the 3 across thread - wow, some of you are brave to test out seats for fun!

I saw all kinds of pictures and am assuming 2 radians and the parkway will work across the third row. I just have to reposition the masses.

I think I would also be able to do a radian, a marathon (FF) and a Parkway as well - I just don't like how the Marathon is so high compared to the other two seats - think it would make it uncomfortable for the seat beside the Marathon.

I guess we can have playdates with this fifth child.

NannyMom

I plan on trying to get a Nautilus middle 3rd row and parkway driver's side 3rd row in my Sienna. I bet I could put another Nautilus on the passenger's side. Are they sized the same as the Frontier?

Now that I have a Parkway, I'm going to ahve to play with my 3rd row and see what I can do there :)

emandbri

I bet you can fit a radian, marathon, and parkway.

Here is a thread where I had three marathons in the back of mine! :D

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=592025#post592025

I've also had a marathon, radian, and star riser, marathon, parkway, and a 120 lbs 12 year old, and two marathons and a star riser.

My 8 year old could not buckle the booster when next to the other seats, I had to do it for him which is why I put the 3 harnessed kids in the back this time.

]I think I would also be able to do a radian, a marathon (FF) and a Parkway as well - I just don't like how the Marathon is so high compared to the other two seats - think it would make it uncomfortable for the seat beside the Marathon.

I've done PW, MA, RN (all ff'ing) in my 05 Camry, and no one complained that they were uncomfortable. In fact, we have empty seat, FFing MA, FFing RN as out everyday arrangement, and the boys think it's fine. When adding the PW to the mix, buckling it is a little tricky, but it's doable.

AnnD

Thanks everyone ...

Chameleon - I saw your post on the 3 across, those three seats make the back look huge.

I am going to put the 2 year old to bed and go play with a few carseats. I am thinking that maybe the Frontier can go in the centre using the seat belt and then squeeze the radian and the parkway on either side. Will take a picture if it works.

If not, will go two radians side by side with the Parkway. That has to work.

erinnicolevan

I've done a FF, RF, and Parkway across the rear of my 05 Sienna, but I don't have Radians to try it with. I've got pictures on the 3 across thread.
http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=573246&postcount=178

Sorry to butt-in, but in your 3-across, was the child using the Parkway able to buckle the seatbelt themselves or did you have to do it? Thanks! :) I think I have finally decided on the '08 Sienna XLE Limited, but I am having a hard time trying to think of the seat configurations for 5 in carseats.

Chameleon

Sorry to butt-in, but in your 3-across, was the child using the Parkway able to buckle the seatbelt themselves or did you have to do it? Thanks! :) I think I have finally decided on the '08 Sienna XLE Limited, but I am having a hard time trying to think of the seat configurations for 5 in carseats.

Ha Ha LOL , no. She's only 5 and I wouldn't let her buckle her booster herself anyways. But if she rode in this situation which she didn't(I was just playing with carseats) or any child, the parent would have to buckle the child. It was a tight fit, but I was able to buckle it with no problems. I didn't even have to pull out the Parkway to buckle it.

AnnD

What an adventure - I ended up just with two radians in the back row (passenger outboard and centre - I am Cdn so have to tether and no tether driver outboard third row).

Regardless, I don't think I will be able to get a Parkway back there. My adult sized butt fits there but I think the Parkway will be too large. The parkway was with my husband (as was the Marathon) so didn't try it today. I think the only thing that will fit will be a super narrow backless booster (which I don't own).

I am thinking perhaps a Marathon in the centre may work (seat belt only as latch is too off centre).

I am now in a worse position as the baby is now forward facing (he is 16 months old and 28 lbs. so not 'wrong' but not right either). Will have to get that fixed tomorrow.

erinnicolevan

Ha Ha LOL , no. She's only 5 and I wouldn't let her buckle her booster herself anyways. But if she rode in this situation which she didn't(I was just playing with carseats) or any child, the parent would have to buckle the child. It was a tight fit, but I was able to buckle it with no problems. I didn't even have to pull out the Parkway to buckle it.

Awesome! Thank you! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC