where do old carseats go to die?

micapu

I'm asking this from an environmentally concerned perspective... What do you all do with your expired seats? How do you make sure that (1) they're destroyed so no one else can ever use them and (2) they don't contribute to the landfill problem?

TIA!

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Most carseats aren't recyclable, either b/c of the plastic they are made of or simply b/c there are too many pieces on them that aren't recyclable. We do have a mom here that has had one carseat recycling and wants to do at least one a quarter if possible. My DH just takes ours to work (when I finally make him, I have 7 right now that need to go) and puts them in the crusher.

micapu

My DH just takes ours to work (when I finally make him, I have 7 right now that need to go) and puts them in the crusher.
what kind of crusher? Like a junkyard-type crusher?

I know there are lots of other things involved in Safety Check events, but maybe there could be an incentive for lower-income parents to bring in old-carseats for disposal (rather than handing down old & potentially dangerous seats)... like a guns for toys exchange? Is that even realistic to ask? The more I read on this site and absorb the carseat expiration thing, the more my feverish dreams become as I "see" piles & piles of plastic seat shells growing. I know, I'm a tad obsessive. :eek::p:whistle:

Is this something I should look into in my community, along with the several other stuff I'm planning to do (it all involves children & families, so technically I could approach the same people about it)

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I know there are lots of other things involved in Safety Check events, but maybe there could be an incentive for lower-income parents to bring in old-carseats for disposal (rather than handing down old & potentially dangerous seats)...

Most check events already do this to a degree. If a child is using an expired or damaged seat, we work hard to replace the seat and NOT let it go home with the family.

Usually, seats are available at low/no cost at check events (although the type of seat and quantity available vary greatly).

Most agencies/programs in my community know about "SafeKids" and will refer families (we do almost all checks by appointment and we try to do some events in coordination with these entities). In addition, several of our techs work with low income families, so we often have parents come and say, "So and so said I could come and get a new seat."

We usually ask for a donation and/or ask for a WIC letter to "prove" low income.

classicseats

I'm asking this from an environmentally concerned perspective... What do you all do with your expired seats? How do you make sure that (1) they're destroyed so no one else can ever use them and (2) they don't contribute to the landfill problem?

TIA!

Some come to me!

scatterbunny

Some places DO recycle carseats. I know we have a hospital in Portland, Oregon that collects and recycles them. We collect them at every carseat clinic I work at, and save them up to take to the Portland location.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We have a recycle center about 20 minutes away from us that takes any kind of plastic and metal in their scrap metal/plastic bins. All you have to do is take off all foam and cloth parts and dump it in the bin outside their door. Awesome.

PEIMommyof2

I'm in Canada but I just took 2 old seats to the fire department. They are going to use them for training at the fire school. One of the is totally not usable, no cover or harness just latch on the base (infant seat) the other one I wrote on DO NOT USE FOR A CHILD, EXPIRED. I know they will just use them for training ie. like using the jaws of life and removing the seat from the vechile with a doll in it!!! I saw a few of their exercises and they are so neat to see.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC