2008 or 2009 Uppababy Vista?

mrs.christie

I torn between saving money on the 2008 or getting the 2009 with a few more features. The 2009 has a "rumble seat", but I'm not sure I'd use it. We do plan on having another child in 2-3 years, but the second seat looks small and too squished below the main seat. The 2009 can also hold 50 lbs in the main seat vs only 40 in the 2008.

Right now I can order the 2008 for about $545, which is still a LOT of money for us. I can't believe I'm even considering it! I do think it will be the perfect stroller for our city lifestyle. I was previsouly thinking of ordering the Kolcraft Contors 4-wheeler, however the Vista seems better suited for newborns.

Any advice? Thanks!

ADS

BW1426

What features are you looking for?

There's also the Peg Perego Skate

Bumble Ride Queen B

Bugaboo, of course

and others that aren't as widely used.

Check out your local Craigs List. There are constantly great deals on upper end strollers, especially in metro areas.

mrs.christie

The main feature I'm looking for is that the seat can be front or rear facing. What I like about the Vista is the carry cot type thing, so that I can use the stroller with a newbon.

A large basket underneath is also somewhat important. As is good steering and tires that can handle uneven city sidewalks. I do not want a jogger though.

I'd like to spend as little as possible, so the Bugaboo is out. In fact, I'd like to keep it under $600 if possible. I will check out Craig's List.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Personally, I would go with the 08 and save the money. But I have lightweight kids too-- my 4 1/2 year old is not yet 40 lbs. and has been out of the stroller for a year and a half.

TheNimpsGirl

Ugh I don't know... that's a tough one. We bought a 2008 (before they released the 2009 specs) and while I do think the extra 10lbs plus the other features are cool (we bought ours at $549 too) I'm not sure they are worth the extra $120 for *US*.

Here's why (and yes, I'm saying this to reassure myself that the 2008 was the best choice and that I can't go back now, LoL)...

The extra 10 lbs sounds good but I honestly intended to only use this as a toddler stroller anyways on a day to day basis and then only at the mall after that (love that big basket). I still :love: Macs and intend to use those once my child is bigger (walking and such). I also don't know honestly that I'll keep this stroller once a second LO is on the way, it would depend on how old this one will be, so we may never even get near outgrowing the stroller if we go to a double. (Does that make sense?)

The cell phone pocket is a cool feature I suppose but the large basket already has pockets on the back. Also, I tend to just have my cell phone ON me versus in my bag. I also haven't played with the 2009 models but I couldn't find a position on my 2008 that I couldn't access the basket, so saying it's easier to access may be true, but I don't have problems now.

The new fabrics and what they are made out of are a neat feature and if your concerned about what fabrics are made out of that would be fantastic. And maybe I'm a bad soon to be mom but *I'm* really not that concerned if my baby has un-dyed organic soy and cotton lining in the bassinet when we have dyed regular cotton sheets on our own bed ;) Also, I don't like the new color choices. That alone puts me off of the 2009 models and honestly would be why I wouldn't buy one, no matter what the other features were... plus, the blue is now a weird color that reminds me of these puffy vests we sold two years ago at my work. I prefer the old blue on the 2008 models.

Not sure how helpful that is, but trust me, after MONTHS of obsessing not only what stroller to get but then what color to get I understand the issues of "committing" to a stroller! (We also looked at the Kolcraft Contors 4-wheeler too btw but I hated the color choices in the end so it went off the list... yes, I'm that petty about colors ;)).

canadiangie

For me it would come down to whether we would be trying for more kids, when that would be, and whether I wanted the option of a double. I mean, last time I checked you can't get a higher end double stroller for the $120 difference that you'd be spending now.

I just googled the rumble seat and it looks brilliant IMO. That and the option to add the footboard for kiddo #3 (you know, just in case;)) would have me sold. It's been years that us stroller gurus have wished for a single > double > triple easy to manouver/fold/lift stylish stroller. :thumbsup:

So yeah, I'd go for the '09. :)

(I have a P3 with the footboard, a Mac twin, and an e3, so all my strollers do double duty... kids are 16mos apart... so I guess I sort of speak from personal experience here :p)

lovemyfamily

Ugh I don't know... that's a tough one. We bought a 2008 (before they released the 2009 specs) and while I do think the extra 10lbs plus the other features are cool (we bought ours at $549 too) I'm not sure they are worth the extra $120 for *US*.

Here's why (and yes, I'm saying this to reassure myself that the 2008 was the best choice and that I can't go back now, LoL)...

The extra 10 lbs sounds good but I honestly intended to only use this as a toddler stroller anyways on a day to day basis and then only at the mall after that (love that big basket). I still :love: Macs and intend to use those once my child is bigger (walking and such). I also don't know honestly that I'll keep this stroller once a second LO is on the way, it would depend on how old this one will be, so we may never even get near outgrowing the stroller if we go to a double. (Does that make sense?)

The cell phone pocket is a cool feature I suppose but the large basket already has pockets on the back. Also, I tend to just have my cell phone ON me versus in my bag. I also haven't played with the 2009 models but I couldn't find a position on my 2008 that I couldn't access the basket, so saying it's easier to access may be true, but I don't have problems now.

The new fabrics and what they are made out of are a neat feature and if your concerned about what fabrics are made out of that would be fantastic. And maybe I'm a bad soon to be mom but *I'm* really not that concerned if my baby has un-dyed organic soy and cotton lining in the bassinet when we have dyed regular cotton sheets on our own bed ;) Also, I don't like the new color choices. That alone puts me off of the 2009 models and honestly would be why I wouldn't buy one, no matter what the other features were... plus, the blue is now a weird color that reminds me of these puffy vests we sold two years ago at my work. I prefer the old blue on the 2008 models.

Not sure how helpful that is, but trust me, after MONTHS of obsessing not only what stroller to get but then what color to get I understand the issues of "committing" to a stroller! (We also looked at the Kolcraft Contors 4-wheeler too btw but I hated the color choices in the end so it went off the list... yes, I'm that petty about colors ;)).

I wanted to just agree with the above. When a child gets to be that large, I will be using my Maclaren Ryder anyway, so the extra 10lbs. of "allowance" wasn't a HUGE deal for me. While I like my baby to have organic etc., it isn't like she is eating the stroller fabric. I have never had issues with being able to get anything in and out of the basket. I pop my Fleurville Sling Tote in the back of the basket, and have no issues with getting to my cell phone from an outside pocket on my Sling Tote when it rings.
I did attach a Valco cupholder to my Vista and it works great. If I don't have a drink in it, it is great place for my cell phone.
I have the Vista in Denny (red) and I love it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC