Meal Ideas

Lea_Ontario

I was asked on another thread to suggest some meal ideas, but since it seemed like a complete offshoot, I decided to start a new thread for it.

Due to allergies, our family (esp. the kids) are dairy and egg free.
Due to the prevelance of allergies, we also avoid peanut products and shellfish.

Breakfast at Kashi's House
  • Oatmeal (non-instant) made with hot water, vanilla, cinnamon, and raisins (no sugar)
  • Home-Made muffins
  • Dry Cheerios with raisins (almost a trail mix - by far a favorite for both kids)
  • Home-made pancakes

Lunch at Kashi's House
  • Mostly leftovers from supper the night before
  • Tahini & Jam sandwiches
  • Occasional hot-dogs or hamburgers (must really watch the ingredients to get dairy & egg free) - no buns for the kids, or on bread
  • Tuna & Noodle salad with a home-made vinegar/lemon/spice dressing

Dinner at Kashi's House
  • Usually a meat (chicken, fish, beef) and starch (brown rice, potato) and veggie or green salad
  • Tacos or Burritos made with ground meat, black beans, seasoning, salsa (no cheese). Occasioannly we have lettuce on hand to add, or a dairy-free sour cream
  • Chicken Nuggets and fries (1 brand of safe nuggets)
  • Spaghetti (whole-wheat) with sauce and ground meat. I usually grate up some veggies into the sauce - squash and carrot are hardly noticeable.
  • Shepards Pie (ground meat, beans, corn, in a "gravy" with mashed potatoes on top)
  • Home-made Pizza (we use nutritional yeast instead of cheese on this)

Snacks at Kashi's House
  • Fresh Fruit - especially apples and bananas
  • Whole-Wheat Soda crackers
  • Raisins or other dried fruit
  • Applesauce
  • Fruit Cups

ADS

scatterbunny

Thank you so much! :D This really gives me some ideas. If anyone else wants to throw some ideas out there, specifically for ADHD kids, that would be awesome.

Kashi--what's your homemade pancake recipe?

Lea_Ontario

scatterbunny said:
Kashi--what's your homemade pancake recipe?

1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

mix, cook like "normal" Serve with syrup or jam or pureed fruit.

Also good made with apple juice instead of water, with cinnamon and nutmeg added, or blueberries added to the pan (not the batter, or you will have purple pancakes).

skaterbabs

Well, bfast here is incrediably lazy. LOL The kids either have cereal & milk (organic & additive free, of course) or FG "approved" frozen waffles (plain.) It's fast and easy.

The boys usually have a PB&J sandwhich, a cheese stick, some fruit (they like canned pineapple rings & pears) and either carrot or celery sticks for lunch.

Dinner is usually turkey cutlets prepared in a any of a half-dozen ways and some frozen mixed veggies steamed with either butter or a no-salt herb mix.

scatterbunny

I was buying organic milk for about six months but when Nana moved out a few months ago and we went from paying half the bills to all the bills it got tough and I couldn't justify $5/gallon for organic when regular milk is only $1.89/gallon. :( I don't even drink it now, I can tell a difference in the color and taste. Everyone thinks I'm CRAZY, but I really can.

I can sometimes get Hayley to eat string cheese and also celery and carrot sticks (if I have ranch dressing, ugh).

I think I'm going to get myself organized and make a daily schedule and also a weekly mealplan. If I don't, I know I won't ever stick to anything.

skaterbabs

oh! Celery with ranch dressing is a favorite snack for my sons (I'm not complaining! LOL) butfinding a FG acceptible Ranch dressing in a "family size" is really tough. but I found a recipe to make it myself! I haven't yet tried it, but I don't have the hardware. ;)
I can't put my hands on it at the moment, but I know I have it.

skaterbabs

Like I said, I know I have it! LOL There are FG approved bottled dressings, but we go through *so* much ranch that it really would be easier to make it (except I don't have a blender or food processor. lol)

skaterbabs

LOL Well, I put a cheap blender on layaway at Wal-Mart today - it came on a set with a toaster & coffee maker for $35 and is kind of retro looking.

scatterbunny

$35 for a toaster, coffee pot AND blender, you can't beat that! I love Wal-Mart. I don't exactly enjoy shopping there, the experience of it--but you can't beat the deals.

skaterbabs

Yep! And we needed a toaster and a blender. LOL I have a coffee pot that I almost never use, but it's newer than the one my ILs have so I'll give them that one and keep the new one that matches. lol

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Kashi said:
Due to allergies, our family (esp. the kids) are dairy and egg free.
Due to the prevelance of allergies, we also avoid peanut products and shellfish.

Does your family have allergies to fish, or only to shellfish? I ask because I have allergies to both. Similar to the peanuts and tree nuts allergy issue, where each is a seperate issue, fish and shellfish are seperate allergies, but are often seen together (like the tree nuts and peanuts issue).

I guess you family handles regular fish without a problem?

Lea_Ontario

Patriot20171 said:
Does your family have allergies to fish, or only to shellfish? I ask because I have allergies to both. Similar to the peanuts and tree nuts allergy issue, where each is a seperate issue, fish and shellfish are seperate allergies, but are often seen together (like the tree nuts and peanuts issue).

I guess you family handles regular fish without a problem?

Neither are known allergies in our family. We know that both of the kids can eat regular fish without a problem, but we avoid shellfish because it is one of the top allergens out there.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
scatterbunny said:
regular milk is only $1.89/gallon.

OMG, no way??? $1.89 a gallon??? What state do you live in?? I routinely pay OVER $3.00 a gallon for milk. And because of my daycare, I buy about 5 gallons of milk per week. Daycare & my son go through 1 gallon of 2% every other day. I have to buy 1/2 gallon of whole milk for the 13mo old & my dh. Buy 2 of those a week. And I buy 1 gallon of skim milk for me each week.

Lea_Ontario

KaysKidz said:
OMG, no way??? $1.89 a gallon??? What state do you live in?? I routinely pay OVER $3.00 a gallon for milk.

EEKS - makes me glad we don't fork out money for milk here !

What we do buy instead are these big jugs of calcium-fortified orange juice, and those are expensive (about $6 for 2 litres) - and we buy 2 jugs a week.

scatterbunny

KaysKidz said:
OMG, no way??? $1.89 a gallon??? What state do you live in?? I routinely pay OVER $3.00 a gallon for milk. And because of my daycare, I buy about 5 gallons of milk per week. Daycare & my son go through 1 gallon of 2% every other day. I have to buy 1/2 gallon of whole milk for the 13mo old & my dh. Buy 2 of those a week. And I buy 1 gallon of skim milk for me each week.

Oregon. It depends on what brand you buy, and where you buy it, and the year, I guess. A year or two ago I was paying over $3/gallon for milk, but now it's down to $1.89/gallon for the cheapest brand and about $2.50/gallon for the most expensive (non-organic) brand. $5-$5.50/gallon for organic.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC