Rear Facing story....discusses child injury

Rosey

Not sure if the pics will come through, but this was on the Houston craigslist.

houston craigslist > baby & kid stuff
please flag with care:

miscategorized
prohibited
spam/overpost
best of craigslist
Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
Please Rear Face longer
Reply to: sale-881516338@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-10-16, 11:23AM CDT

This was posted by a grandfather at one of my car seat boards. It is a very sad story indeed, and explains exactly why rear facing past the bare minimums is so important.

First, meet Joel:

PLEASE, for your childrens sake, consider leaving them in REAR-FACING (RF) car seats as longs as you can. Although it is "suggested" by many people and organizations, that you can turn them forward facing at 1 yr/20 lbs, and seats are made to accommodate that, it doesnʼt mean they will not be subjected to cervical spine injuries in an accident. Sure, itʼll hold their body in place, as it did for my grandson. But their head is thrown violently forward!! Actually, if you do your homework, front facing children "75% more likely to be injured" in a crash (http://www.carseatsite.com/rf.htm).

I am Grandpa, and hereʼs my personal view. My 18 mo old grandson, Joel, was injured in a front impact car crash 4 weeks ago. He is a "beefy" boy, weighing in at 34lbs and about 39" tall. According to his mom, the doctor told her it was "okay" to put him in a front facing car seat, because he was a "big boy". So she did. And he was securely strapped in the rear seat. The car hit a tree, for reasons unknown, at city speed limit of approx 35 mph.

At the accident scene, the EMT crew took Joel out of the car while in the car seat and all, and transported him to the hospital. They had to "bag" him at the scene to restart his breathing. The true miracle is that the ambulance was driving by, and some people flagged it down. They didnʼt even get time to call 911. You can bet God had his hand in that!!! they were on the scene in about 60 seconds!!

Below are some photos of Joel, before and after. YOU decide whats best for your child.......not anyone else!!! He sustained dislocated top 2 vertebrae in his spine (C-1 & C-2). Some of the doctors put it in very simple terms...his skull, internally, became detached from his body... and was basically held on with his skin.

In the last few weeks, Iʼve scoured the internet to find these facts:

* a young childʼs head is approx 25% of his/her bodyweight. If that were true of adults, my head (Iʼm 220 pounds) would weigh 55 pounds! As it is, an adults head is only about 6% of their body weight. So, kids are very top-heavy.

* Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland recommend rear facing until 4 yrs old

* look on You Tube at the crash test videos of front facing vs. rear facing. youʼll be amazed.

YouTube Crash Tests

Rear facing:
http://www.youtube.com/v/Qef1TXZ05Dg&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01

Forward facing:

See how much farther forward the forward facing dummy is thrown? How violently the neck snaps?

* if a young childs spine is "stretched" a 1/4 of an inch, it could result in total paralysis or death.

* and this is amazing! There was an article published in Pediatrics (the journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics) earlier this year that states: "A recent analysis of the protection provided in rear-facing compared with forward-facing car safety seats has revealed that children under the age of 2 years are 75% less likely to die or sustain serious injury when they are in a rear-facing seat. This finding was true regardless of direction of the crash, even those crashes with side impact, which typically are the most severe.

"Parents may be helped to understand the importance of using the convertible car safety seat in the rear-facing position longer than 1 year if they are counseled that children are 5 times safer than when riding in a forward-facing seat into the second year of life."

After hearing about that, I contacted the AAP via email, and asked what their position is on this issue. Their response was "While this was published in the Academyʼs journal, it does not necessarily constitute AAP policy" and "Because riding rear-facing does provide significantly more protection to childrenʼs heads, necks, and spines, the Academy does recommend it for as long as possible, but the only minimum we have set is 12 months/20 pounds. This policy statement is under revision but is current at this time."

The policy statement is under revision.... at this time??

Do youʼre home work folks!!! Oh, and youʼll also find out that in the USA, rear facing seats only go up to 30-35 pounds (depends on manufacturer). In Europe, whose testing standards seem to exceed US standards, the RF car seats can be purchased up to 55 pounds. AND, made by the same manufacturers as in the US.

So, the question is, why canʼt we get them?? And donʼt worry about legroom, check out these larger RF seats: http://forum.nybaktmamma.com/showthread.php?t=524428

Sure, they can break a leg in a violent crash, but I think bones are easier to fix than a broken neck!!! Heck, itʼs better to mount a portable CD player in the back window shelf and let them watch it, then to risk their life! Think about it....their body is strapped down to a car seat that is strapped down, and the car comes to an abrupt stop!! Where is their head going to go? FORWARD, and at a tremedous velocity!! The back of their neck/spinal cord is vulnerable to serious injury.

But the BIG question is....... for you to decide. I know you want to see their darling faces. But you donʼt want to see them in a halo.

I know this is a very long blog, but if it saves one child...or one family, the agony of what weʼve endured these last 4 weeks, it is worth the read!! The pics below are about six weeks apart. he was eating cake by himself....very cute.

And now, he is is headed for intense physical therapy. He does move his fingers and his legs, but he doesnʼt pick up his arms. The therapy people are very optimistic, given the movement in his extremities. Doctors believe it was some compression of the shoulder nerves from the car seat straps across his collar bone area. You had to see those big, wide bruise marks. Again...front facing will do it.!!

Joel now:

I would like to see: the FF threshold raised to 24 months, and larger RF seats available in the US. Thank you.

This little boy is VERY lucky he is alive. This is every parents worst nightmare, and Iʼm glad that I have the knowledge to help protect my kids to the best of my ability. And now Iʼve passed the information to you.

Thank you for reading!

Please see these sites for more information:
http://www.car-safety.org/basics.html
http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/StayRearFacing.aspx.
http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;109/3/550
(^ Recommendation 1-"for optimal protection, the child should remain rear facing until reaching the max weight for the car safety seat, as long as the top of the head is below the top of the seat back")

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 881516338
Link to the site for pics: http://houston.craigslist.org/bab/881516338.html

ADS

scatterbunny

That story was actually posted here, by Joel's grandfather, who gave permission to re-post the story elsewhere. It's gone around MySpace and Craigslist, both. :thumbsup:

Rosey

Awesome, I saw it on my sister's craigslist and was sad but thought it would reach a lot of people!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC