WWYD ... too tall for the Monarch!!!

MissAllyLou

Okay ladies (and gents) I need some help. I haven't had Mary in my car for over a week, and when I went to buckle her in last night, she was too tall for the Monarch!!! Mary is 92 pounds, no idea how many inches. She is 8 years old.

I am not comfortable with her in a backless booster at all, because she is outboard and right next to the door. So what do I do now?? I currently have a three across in my middle row, Maggie RFing in a MA (she's 28#, 16 months old), and Cath FFing in a RN65 (She's 44 #, 6 years old).

I have a MA, BLVD (both RF to 35 lbs), RN65, GN, Monarch, Scenera, and EFTA. I prefer to have Maggie RFing in a Britax for the tether, and Cath only fits in the GN and the RN. She prefers the RN, and I have to have the RN if I'm going to do a 3-across.

My vehicle is a GMC Envoy XL, 2003. I can put kids in the third row, but everybody prefers to have 3-across for a variety of reasons.

Should I get a Monterey? Sell the GN and maybe the Monarch? I won't put Cath in a booster, she sucks at it. Is there another booster out there that's better? She's too wide in the hips for a Turbo, and I'd really love SIP.

ADS

capeKO71

You could always get the frontier - and use it in booster mode now - and eventually use it for Maggie in a few years as a harnessing booster.

Or can you put your oldest daughter in the center?

MissAllyLou

They aren't mine, I'm the nanny! So, I hate to spend almost $300 on a Frontier when I realistically won't be a nanny for more than 6 more months. Mary rides in a Monterey in her mom's van. I can't put her in the center because there's no headrest.

Maedze

Don't hate me, but I wouldn't hesitate to put a 92 pound 8 year old in a backless booster, outboard or not :eek:

emandbri

I would get a monterey with the tech discount, that would be the cheapest opiton for a high back.

Since I can't say it enough I sure do wish britax would make a fronteir without a harenss. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

abacus2

If she's outgrown one of the tallest available boosters, it's time to go backless. She is big enough; it is a safe option.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
You really only have 2 options. Well 3, I guess. Buy a Frontier. Buy a Monterey. Or go backless. At her age and weight I would be fine with her a backless. If you only plan on being a nanny for 6 more mos and the money for the seat comes out of your pocket, I'd choose to go backless with the Monarch.

bubbaray

As you are the nanny, I'd ask the parents what they want to do and, assuming their choice fits 3-across, have them pay for the new seat.

*I* would be fine having her go in a LBB, but IMO its not your call, its the parents' call. JMHO.

LuvMyGirls

I would put her in a Monterey as I have my own ten-year-old. I just don't like backless boosters especially after seeing the side impact testing videos of kids in different boosters. As Russ at Sunshine Kids said, "When she outgrows the Monterey, give her the keys." With all the kids you nanny, you should get plenty of use out it over its lifetime.

MissAllyLou

As you are the nanny, I'd ask the parents what they want to do and, assuming their choice fits 3-across, have them pay for the new seat.

*I* would be fine having her go in a LBB, but IMO its not your call, its the parents' call. JMHO.

The mom and I were talking about it a little bit more today, and she might just buy another Monterey, put it in my car when I need it, and then use it with Catherine. Catherine is just so skinny that the Turbo's really seem to fit her better, I thought she'd be swallowed in a Monterey.

I'd be comfortable with Mary in a backless if she wasn't right next to the door, but literally, the door is her armrest. If I got hit on the side, there's nothing but a steel bar between Mary and the car that hits us.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm a worrywart like you.. I won't let my kids ride in backless boosters next to the door or window in a car without curtain airbags if there is any chance of anything taller fitting them :eek: (too many visions of those IIHS crash tests where the dummy head slams into the window, I guess :eek:)

MissAllyLou

I'm a worrywart like you.. I won't let my kids ride in backless boosters next to the door or window in a car without curtain airbags if there is any chance of anything taller fitting them :eek: (too many visions of those IIHS crash tests where the dummy head slams into the window, I guess :eek:)

Thank you! At least now I don't feel so crazy!

U

Unregistered1

I had the same problem with M, which is why I wound up buying a Frontier on swap. I got it for $200 plus shipping, and I gotta say it was worth it. I know not everybody wants to spend that and admittedly I am going to have M for more than six months, but I didn't know if you'd thought about asking on swap. Also with a 9 year life, who knows what other kids will be able to use it either in booster or harness mode? Heck, in 9 years, I could have a FF child of my own! LOL.

But if you think the Monterey will last her as long as you need it to, then by all means. I would've gotten that for M but it didn't go up THAT much higher and she's nowhere near five step testing. Which is scary, because one more click and the Frontier will be touching the roof of my car. :eek: 86Y here I come?

MissAllyLou

I had the same problem with M, which is why I wound up buying a Frontier on swap. I got it for $200 plus shipping, and I gotta say it was worth it. I know not everybody wants to spend that and admittedly I am going to have M for more than six months, but I didn't know if you'd thought about asking on swap. Also with a 9 year life, who knows what other kids will be able to use it either in booster or harness mode? Heck, in 9 years, I could have a FF child of my own! LOL.

But if you think the Monterey will last her as long as you need it to, then by all means. I would've gotten that for M but it didn't go up THAT much higher and she's nowhere near five step testing. Which is scary, because one more click and the Frontier will be touching the roof of my car. :eek: 86Y here I come?

So tempting!!!! I think for now I will just swap out her Monterey from her mom's car when I have her, since I only really have her in my car once a week or so, now that she's in school all day!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC