just got my frontier ... and.....

kelsy

it looks GREAT!!! DOM 9.25.08. it has the caps on the back to prevent the splitter plate from getting wedged and the harness holes (where it is attached to the splitter plate are sewn smaller!!!:thumbsup: HOORAY!!! it looks like i got a good one!!! hopefully all of their frontiers will have these issues fixed from this point forward!!

ADS

Heather98012

Please, post pics! I have been holding off on contacting Britax because I wanted to wait until I knew the issues were fixed.

Do you think this will prevent the whole strap thing coming off the splitter plate? Or is that still possible, but less likely with the changes?

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Please, post pics! I have been holding off on contacting Britax because I wanted to wait until I knew the issues were fixed.

Do you think this will prevent the whole strap thing coming off the splitter plate? Or is that still possible, but less likely with the changes?

:yeahthat:

I want to see if the falling off the splitter plate issue has been solved!!!

kelsy

ok, here are some pics. i have never uplloaded pics to this site before... so hopefully i can do it right. am i able to do multiple pics in a single post??? we'll see!......

that was easy :) first pic is of the capped part where the splitter plates were getting stuck.

next 2 pics are the stiching on the harness slots...

i have 2 more pics .. will put them in next post :D

kelsy

yes, i do think the stitching will prevent the strap from coming off. the way they sewed it at the bottom (rather than at the top) makes it so that the doubled over strap fills the cutout portion of the splitter plate and prevents the strap from wiggling around. does that make sense??:confused:

that being said, i didnt get to see any of the frontiers with the SP issue .. so i dont have anything to compare this harness to... KWIM?

canadiangie

Cool. :thumbsup:

I'm relieved to see some changes there. I know a lot of people were losing hope and becoming quite worried.

The other day I was at a baby boutique and overheard a discussion about the Frontier. One of the moms must have read something online about the Frontier issues, and was explaining it all to the other mom. The other moms response was, "well they should just make these loops smaller, then it couldn't fall off". Of course then they started discussing how easy it would be to "just sew them smaller yourself". And that's when I jumped in. :eek::whistle:

Anyway, just wanted to say I'm happy to SEE changes. :D

Heather98012

So what about the part where the splitter plate was getting stuck? In the older models it was hollow & looks like it is now solid. Are there caps to put on there that we can get? Or do I need to try & get new seats?

I'd be happy with caps or something; I'm not trying to get new seats really. But I am more concerned about that issue, as it has happened to us & it's a PITA to fix (esp. if you are out running errands!).

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
So what about the part where the splitter plate was getting stuck? In the older models it was hollow & looks like it is now solid. Are there caps to put on there that we can get? Or do I need to try & get new seats?

I'd be happy with caps or something; I'm not trying to get new seats really. But I am more concerned about that issue, as it has happened to us & it's a PITA to fix (esp. if you are out running errands!).

That I'll be curious to see. I know that the back plate that it's getting caught on can come off because it came off a floor model at work. So maybe they'll just send replacement black plates and harnesses to everyone? Sounds like a PITA recall, but I guess issuing them both at once saves them money anyways.

And I can see looking at the way it's sewn that it would totally fix the problem. No way for the harness to fold in on itself now.

Wonder how long until the recall is released on the harness? I'm just thinking now that the back plastic plate may not actually be a recall... it could be viewed as not being a safety issue and they'll just deal with that problem when people complain? Who knows....

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Do you think they will issue a recall? I think they should but I wonder if they ever will. I'm going to call and see if they can send me a new harness and perhaps replace the thing on the back. I have not had the harness come loose but do have the splitter plate getting stuck problem. We just don't loosen at all b/c the splittler plate getting stuck requires the seat to be uninstalled! A huge pain!

Heather98012

Wonder how long until the recall is released on the harness? I'm just thinking now that the back plastic plate may not actually be a recall... it could be viewed as not being a safety issue and they'll just deal with that problem when people complain? Who knows....

Oh, you can bet your $#@ I will call. ;) I just want to make sure the problem gets solved, not just a band aid fix, ya know?

I guess we're all just going to have to keep sharing info & see what happens.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Do you think they will issue a recall? I think they should but I wonder if they ever will. I'm going to call and see if they can send me a new harness and perhaps replace the thing on the back. I have not had the harness come loose but do have the splitter plate getting stuck problem. We just don't loosen at all b/c the splittler plate getting stuck requires the seat to be uninstalled! A huge pain!

I think they will have to recall the ones with the harness that doesn't have the extra stitching. Straps coming off the splitter plate is a huge safety issue, and some parents have reported it happening multiple times. Even if only 5% of all seats produced were prone to the problem, and 99.9% of the time it pulled right out in the parents hand, there's still that slight possibility of the parent not knowing prior to a collision. I don't think they can avoid a recall on an issue so important... And I'd hope they wouldn't.

mish

I talked to Sarah Tilton at the Safe Kids conference and it doesn't sound to me like there will be a recall. I know she wouldn't necesarrily have told me everything, but she acted like what they had done was going to be the only fix. She showed me the extra stitching (I forgot about it in my update post) and it really seems to me like that will fix the problem. It sounded like they had trouble replicating the problem. I don't know for sure, but I bet Britax would replace them if you were having the issue. In my opinion, they should issue a recall and send out replacement straps. A lot of people aren't having a problem (I'm not), but anyone having problems is too many. That harness coming off just once in an accident would be too many times.

As far as the black plastic piece, I was told by customer service when I called and by Sarah that you can take that piece off if you were having issues.

Heather98012

WTF? Seriously?! This is shameful on Britax's part. They KNOW straps are coming off & they aren't going to recall? They KNOW splitter plates are getting stuck & thereby making the seat unusable until it's completely unistalled, fixed, & re installed & they aren't issuing a recall?

If this is true, I am appalled. I bought 2 of these & had never owned a Britax product before. I bought them because I felt the seats were the best out there but also because I believed Britax was a company that stood behind it's products. If a Frontier owner doesn't know about the situation (& come on, only a small % of owners out there know about it), the results could be catastropic.

Seriously, if this is true, it sickens me & I will never buy another Britax product (or recommend them) again.

emandbri

I agree with Heather. I was consdiering the frontier again since they made the fixes but I will not be buying one unless they do a recall just on principle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC