2007 Tahoe vs. Sequoia

U

Unregistered

We are looking to buy an 8 passenger SUV but can't decide between the 2007 Tahoe or the Sequoia (maybe even a 2007 Suburban). Safety is the number one priority. All the vehicles have stability control and 3 point safety belts in all positions. The only problem is that we will have to use the third row every day and I'm concerned about the safety issues. The Tahoe's rear seat is very close to the back of the vehicle and I've read that the further away the better. The Sequoia's third row is a little bit farther away, but it doesn't have side curtain air bags for the third row and the Tahoe does. The Suburban has side curtain airbags for all three rows and has more distance between the back of the seat and the back of the vehicle. But it is so much bigger that the other two and I'd rather drive the smaller vehicle!

Do any of these factors outweigh the others?

ADS
U

Unregistered

Does anyone even have a Tahoe? Is the cargo space big enough for groceries?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
In my opinion, if everything else was equal, I would choose side curtain airbags over a few more inches to the rear for the third row seat, especially if children are riding there most of the time. It is heavy adults that are at most risk when they are close to the rear hatch, especially if their seat lacks adequate head restraint.

On the other hand, with the Tahoe being an all-new model, it probably is an unknown for crash tests and will have usual first-year model reliability and recall issues.

How about a Honda Pilot?

Also:

http://www.suvsafety.info

U

Unregistered

We've thought about it - my sister-in-law has one - and I know it is safer than all three that I've mentioned - but it is so small! She has her kids climb through the back hatch to get in the back seat! Also, although I'll be driving most of the time, my husband is 6' 7" tall and it's a tight fit for him. I was just excited when I saw the improved safety features on the Tahoe. It received 5 stars in the gov. frontal crash test and it has options for rear parking sensors and rearview camera system. However, I don't know any other mom's that have one and what better place to ask than here that is full of mom's / cars / and safety!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
If you're not in a hurry, you could wait for the 2008 Tahoe. By then, it may have more crash test results and they will probably have worked out the first year kinks.

sirrahn

Does anyone even have a Tahoe? Is the cargo space big enough for groceries?

I do not have one, but have a good friend who does ('06, not '07 though...not sure how much space difference there is on the inside...from outside the new ones actually look smaller to me).

She has 3 kids and uses the 3rd row all the time because they don't do well all together. She has complained to me several times about the lack of cargo space in the back and specifically mentioned that even going to the grocery store is a pain.

Of course YMMV, but thought I'd at least throw that in until you can get some more feedback. GL!

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I have an '05 Tahoe and I LOVE IT!!! I only have 2 child so my 3rd row is not used all that often but great when I do need it. The 3rd row does have head rest for the outboard positions so that is not an issue. The one that would be is the 3rd row center. But, I would move a 5pt harness car seat to that positon when need be to allow a booster child or adult to have the headrest.

I want a new Tahoe so bad but I am in my lease for another 2yrs.

U

Unregistered

I'm so glad to hear it! How do you feel about the cargo space in the back? I have 4 kids - 13, 11, 6, & 4 and I thought if need be I could always fold a seat down to put big stuff back there (soccer bags, baseball bags, etc.).

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Unregistered said:
I'm so glad to hear it! How do you feel about the cargo space in the back? I have 4 kids - 13, 11, 6, & 4 and I thought if need be I could always fold a seat down to put big stuff back there (soccer bags, baseball bags, etc.).

It's okay not a whole lot if you have the 3rd row in use. But, Enough for room for soccer/baseball bags to fit back there. Also room for a quick trip to the grocery store. We have out stroller back there and still room for a quick trip to the store. If I am going for my big grocery shopping trip I leave the kids at home anyways. Then I just folded the 3rd row up and I have plenty of room.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC