Question Quick..removing base on AOE

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
A tech on another board is saying you can remove the base on an AOE for RFing installs only. I thought you could remove it for all installs, if it works better?? Help?
*runs off to find her manual but believes the brilliant people on here will have an answer first*

ETA..ok, i have my manual, and on page 32 it says for FF installion you might need to remove the base. so you CAN have the base removed for FF, right?
Or am i interpreting it wrongly?

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Yes, for the Dorel 3-n-1s you can remove the base for FF. I've done it and it makes the install much easier.

canadiangie

Base removed for ff is fine.

Once the base is off, have her locate the recline foot that will be tucked up under the seat. Have her pull it *down* so that the seat is in upright mode.

And actually, IIRC, Dorel actually lets you install the seat in reclined mode (meaning the foot would be left tucked *up*), but most techs prefer an upright ff install.

Anyway, good luck. :)

Maedze

On those Dorel 3-in-1s, what about booster mode? Base on, off, or either way?

What exactly is the purpose of the base anyway? :confused:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
On those Dorel 3-in-1s, what about booster mode? Base on, off, or either way?

What exactly is the purpose of the base anyway? :confused:

Base must be off when using it in booster mode, and the kickstand up (as in standing, not hidden like you'd have it when using the seat rf'ing.)

Purpose? I suppose the multi recline is a catchy thing for parents. Older ones had the cupholder right in the base, but now they come separate and can be used even when the base isn't being used.

So eh, I have no clue. :shrug-shoulders:

leighi123

I took the base off one for a FF install becase I could get it in much easier/tighter, but the senior tech freaked out on me and made me pt it back on - I had even checked the manual to make sure it was ok but he claimed that it would 'tip over more' if the base was off :confused: I got it in rock solid without the base, and he could only get it in with 1" of movement with it on, but he wouldnt sign off on it with it off. IME its easier without it in some cars. (I installed FOUR of them at that check!)

canadiangie

I took the base off one for a FF install becase I could get it in much easier/tighter, but the senior tech freaked out on me and made me pt it back on - I had even checked the manual to make sure it was ok but he claimed that it would 'tip over more' if the base was off :confused: I got it in rock solid without the base, and he could only get it in with 1" of movement with it on, but he wouldnt sign off on it with it off. IME its easier without it in some cars. (I installed FOUR of them at that check!)

Ridiculous. The manual allows for installation w/o the base. And like so many of us have mentioned, installation tends to improve once the base is off. I wonder what he thinks of a Scenera then. ;)

I'm pretty much at the point where I remove the base no matter what. It needs to be off for booster mode, and it's an easily overlooked step for parents. I show them the recline foot which needs to be down for booster mode. I've found so many parents saying they turned LO ff because a rf installation was so difficult. W/o the base I'm able to show them (with pool noodles) how a proper rf installation is achieved. So in all honesty, taking the base off is quite liberating in more ways than one. I'm all for ditching the rather useless base. :thumbsup:

ladybug_mom

This is why I love this site!

A friend just called as she's helping out a woman at our playgroup to educate her about some huge mis-use ( she's a daycare provider to boot and transports kids) anyhow she just called me with this question! Did a quick search and came up with this thread! Thanks so much!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC