2009 Ford Flex - Dinky 3rd Row Seat

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
We had a Flex this weekend when we flew home...I hated them before I rode in one (thought they looked barfy IMHO) and I hate it even worse now that we had one for the weekend.

It is NARROW...when you are inside it in the front passenger seat it feels nice and big and roomy, but that sucker is narrow. We had a hard time getting a Roundabout and a Futura next to each other in the 2nd row, and putting a booster (AirBooster or TurboBooster) next to the Roundabout was impossible.

The third row seat is dinky. I sat back there for one trip and while *I* was ok, anyone of average height is gonna be totally squished. Plus, my not even 8yo fit back there unboostered. Reilly is 50" tall and has a seated torso height of 17".
I didn't think to get a picture of him in his booster for comparison...durh!
ReillyFlex1.jpg

ReillyFlex2.jpg

Here are the other things that I did not like...

:thumbsdown: Driver & Front Passenger seats were uncomfy (my middle/upper back hurt after any ride longer than a half hour).
:thumbsdown: I couldn't get the seat adjusted so that the shoulderbelt was actually touching my shoulder...it was always from 1"-3" away from actually touching my shoulder no matter how I adjusted the seat (front to back) or belt (height on the track).
:thumbsdown: The floorpan on the passenger side is not flat...it actually bumps up at the front of the seattracks, and since I didn't like having the seat forward at all (it was all the way back all weekend) this put that bump right under my feet and it was ANNOYING.

What did I like?

:thumbsup: It rode low to the ground, which made it easy to lean into the vehicle and buckle Reiker in the 2nd row center.
:thumbsup: It drove really nice (with the exception of horrendous torque steer when accelerating quickly).
:thumbsup: Trunk space/deep well. Much more trunk space than a TaurusX or Mountaineer with the 3rd row up.

Last edited:
ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
It looks similar to my Mazda5. I have to go do more research now...

That pic of your DS in the 3rd row makes me want to cry! The seat belts in my Mazda5 are forward of the seat, so that it doesn't even touch my kids until their belly. It's been a nightmare, and it's the STUPIDEST thing - there's no reason it has to be like that! :(

*off to check it out*

ETA: Oh, that's definitely not much like my Mazda5 after all. Sure looks similar from the pics of the back seat, though!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Does it have switchable belts? I've found the only way to get a belt to sit right on me in some cars is to switch it to ALR mode, for some reason I can then get it to sit against my shoulder and in the right spot. Sometimes.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Does it have switchable belts? I've found the only way to get a belt to sit right on me in some cars is to switch it to ALR mode, for some reason I can then get it to sit against my shoulder and in the right spot. Sometimes.

It does have switchable belts, but that's not the problem. Here's what it looks like:
IMG_0817.jpg

And here's what it does:
IMG_0826.jpg

The seats don't move at all, so there's no way to fix it! It's the stupidest thing; I've actually filed a complaint with NHTSA and repeatedly contacted Mazda about it. Every tech I've talked to about agrees that it's not a safe design. :thumbsdown:

(Sorry, OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread!)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Wow, that's a BIG margin. I've had one that sat about 3/4 inch off, and locking it I was able to get it... somewhat closer. But I've never had one that far off! That's ridiculous and I can't believe they tested that and it passed federal standards.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
My Armada 3rd row has a pretty short seating depth too. My long-legged 6.5yo can fit there in a pinch. I like the fact that smaller kids fit well there when I drive on a school fieldtrip and I don't have to argue with a 5th-6th grader about booster use.

*I* find it perfectly comfortable myself, enough so that I've sat back there with DD1 on long trips to watch movies. DD1 and I are both a smidge over 5'5" tall.

Kat_Momof3

well, I wouldn't say he fit since his knees weren't at the edge, but it is scary how well the belt was fitting him as he looks smaller than my 7yr old (not sure if he is or not)

I can see why you didn't like the vehicle, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC