Have An Extra Britax Wizard Anyone?!?

kile529

Hi....I'm needing to either get a new harness, new foam, and cover for my Roundabout OR I can get a "newer" Wizard for my 28lb. 4 yr old. I don't have a TON of $$...but I was wondering if someone out there has a Wizard they'd want to part with. This is the only site I could actually trust to get used - since we are all here for the same reason - SAFETY for our kids!

If you have a Wizard sitting around (for a boy)....that's smoke-free (we have dogs so animals ok) and never been in an fender-bender - I'd like to possibly take it off your hands! (My fav. cover is the black/blue)......

I was nervous to even post this...but I saw some others do it and not get jumped on! ;) I'd like to buy it in the next day or two....Camden's harness has a puncture in it...not so much a snag...but I need to take care of this situation immediately! Thanks!!!!!

Last edited:
ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
How tall is your 4-year-old? Most kids that age don't still fit in the Roundabout, although your son is light. Are his shoulders still under the top harness slot? Although your son sounds like he's on the smaller side, I'm not sure the Wizard would be the best bet for him.

How much were you looking to spend? Can you afford $150 for a Graco Nautilus? That will last MUCH longer and is much more versatile.

kile529

He's not your typical 4 yr old. He hasn't gained weight in 2 years....and not much in height. We've been to numerous dr's....including Mayo Clinic in MN. There's no prognosis for him to really....grow....much. ;0)

I'm not sure "how tall" Camden is...but he's still at the middle slot in his Roundabout. (I just checked last night to make sure since I washed the cover....and I always double check before installing the harness). I did consider the Nautilus - but I have 2 other kids in Parkways in my Scion XB....I can't get much bigger than the Roundabout...plus - I've heard some frustrations with the Nautilus. I'm a Britax fan all the way......so I plan to stick with that if possible. I did consider the Marathon - but I REALLY like the wings on the wizard...being in a small car and all.....hmmmmmmmmmm

sunnymw

How much are you looking to spend? I believe the Wizard was replaced with the Boulevard--meaning you won't get much life out of a wizard..

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
He's not your typical 4 yr old. He hasn't gained weight in 2 years....and not much in height. We've been to numerous dr's....including Mayo Clinic in MN. There's no prognosis for him to really....grow....much. ;0)

Ah, I see. The Roundabout and Wizard have the same base, but I'm not sure if the Wizard is wider overall. IIRC, the Nautilus is only an inch wider than the big Britaxes, if that. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Have you checked the swap here? http://www.car-seat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16 (Keep in mind that the Boulevard is basically the same as the Wizard, in case someone has one of those for sale.)

If you decide you don't need the wings and want to buy something new, there are lots of seats out there that would probably fit him and don't cost much. (The Avenue, for one.)

solmama

Would a Sunshine Kids Radian work? It's the narrowest seat on the market. It's also more flush with the vehicle seat so he would be able to climb in on his own. It can be a challenge to install, in some vehicles, but we've never had a problem with ours.

The Radian65 is less expensive than a Britax and has a 7 year life span. We have 2 and they're nice seats.

Here's a link to the SunshineKids website for more info about the Radian65: http://www.skjp.com/products/skjp_radian_65.php

cryswilkins

I understand your love of all things Britax, however the Nautilus is a really nice seat. I was very impressed with it and you would get a ton of use out of it. When Zoe is FF (not for a while yet!) that would be the seat I would want for her. I tried her in it the other day and she fit very nicely in it, so I think that your petite DS should too.

Maedze

As a fellow Britax fan :love: I can say I absolutely adore the Nautilus.

But if he's still on the middle slots of the RA and weighs only 28 pounds, you could probably go with something even cheaper (the Avenue maybe?) and be just fine .

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What's your budget? And keep in mind that most seats bought here will require shipping a very large 25 pound package to you that won't be cheap.

Wendy

kile529

Well....I guess here is the biggest issue....my biggest fear I guess I would say.
Some people might switch cars because of this....but no "small" car is completely devoid of safety issues. My car is a Scion XB (which I :love: love love love!) - and the biggest safety issue I have found - is with the windows being lower...and it being a small car - if a large truck hit us in the side - it is "possible" for one of us to have our head actually hit the truck (it's an extreme case...and I do not suggest google searching for videos on every car...b/c it took me 3 years to pick my new car and made me worry like CRAZY!:eek:
....that being said - the Side Impact Protection is essential for me to not worry so much. I guess it's because it's the only "control" I have during an accident. My car IS a safe car! It really is! This is truly just my ONE "worry" part! :)

solmama

In regards to shipping, some places (like Amazon) offer free ground shipping with an order that exceeds a certain amount. You'll have to shop around to find the best combined offer of price and shipping.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Any five point harness offers a lot of side impact protection. You'd have to rip a head off to get it to touch a truck outside the window. In addition, seats like the Nautilus have wings, and others like the Evenflo Triumph Advance and Learning Curve True Fit are so deep that the entire seat is basically one big wing. So I wouldn't worry about only getting the Wizard. Piper just went from her Wizard to a Nautilus. You can see the pictures in my siggy. The Nautilus' wings are deeper than the Wizard's.

You have a safe car, and a five point harness will be very safe. A five point harness rear facing would be even safer, if he's not too tall. A rear facing seat works best against side impacts.

Wendy

kile529

Any five point harness offers a lot of side impact protection. You'd have to rip a head off to get it to touch a truck outside the window. In addition, seats like the Nautilus have wings, and others like the Evenflo Triumph Advance and Learning Curve True Fit are so deep that the entire seat is basically one big wing. So I wouldn't worry about only getting the Wizard. Piper just went from her Wizard to a Nautilus. You can see the pictures in my siggy. The Nautilus' wings are deeper than the Wizard's.

You have a safe car, and a five point harness will be very safe. A five point harness rear facing would be even safer, if he's not too tall. A rear facing seat works best against side impacts.

Wendy

I had not realized that about the harnessed seats...hmmmm....that's got me thinking more options now....hmmmmm.......

As far as rear-facing - I'm right with you! I do think he "could" still be RF...but Camden unbuckles himself silently and quickly - and I learned 6 months ago or so - that he was unbuckling himself while I was driving and I'd have no idea. Turned out - I was able to get him to stop - only after putting him FF where I could see him in my rear-view mirror at all times! ;) crazy kid! lol

sunnymw

I just wanted to say that I LOVE BOXERS. They are awesome!

And yeah... I think there's probably someone selling a Boulevard on swap... *whistle*

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Donning the moderator hat for a moment to remind everyone of the forum's policy regarding ISO/for sale/for trade posts which are allowed in the board's designated Swap sub-forum only, as explained in these Admin announcements:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=38149
http://www.car-seat.org/announcement.php?f=16 Please post any offers to sell/buy/trade/swap in the designated Swap sub-forum only, and/or discuss via PM. Thanks and we now resume our regular programming. :)

kile529

Yeah....sorry - I didn't "find" the sell/buy/trade/swap area until directed earlier....that being said - we've kinda transferred "to" an actual carseat chat! lol

So...ideas - skinny seat...harnessed at least up to 65lbs...SIP...did I say skinny??
and small"er" budget.....probably a used one (from here) will be the best choice for me....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC