Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Amy Moon

becoming a certified safety tech & sponsoring a safety c

Please outline how to become a certified safety tech. Please give me info on how to sponsor a safety check in my neighborhood of Berwyn, Illinois.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

carsafety

Upcoming classes:

You can find the list of upcoming classes at our Car-Safety.Org website:

www.car-safety.org/classes.html

You can probably get a lot of help with sponsoring your carseat event by contacting your local SafeKids coalition, or a local technician instructor who organizes events for an area hospital, police or fire department.

I'm not sure who organizes events in the near west suburbs. If you have no luck with local police/fire/hospital, I suggest starting with these contacts:

Tom McQueen, Northern Illinois Co-ordinator for Child Passenger Safety, 630-420-6197

Janet Holden, Technician Instructor in Oak Park, IL, 708-386-7179

One of those two should be able to get you on the right track for a local contact!

Please feel free to post again if you have any more questions, or are unable to find anyone in your area.

Safety Consultant

Re: becoming a certified safety tech & sponsoring a safe

Also you might try:

USAA (they inspect already installed & they give away new seats)
    GEICO (or other major insurance companies)

I have worked with both in the past. They are very generous and extremely helpful)

LyndaSLP

How do I find out about classes in other states? I live in NC.

Thanks!
    Lynda

PS: How much time does it take to get certified? Just wondering...

carsafety

Hi Lynda-

I posted some contact information under your other post. There is another great carseat website based at the University of North Carolina:

www.hsrc.unc.edu/pubinfo/child_main.htm

Bill Hall is the contact for this site. I am sure he would know if a list of events exists in areas of North Carolina. His email is listed as:

The University of North Carolina Highway Safety Research Center
    CB# 3430 Chapel Hill, NC 27599
    919-962-2202 or (in NC) 800-672-4527
    bill_hall@unc.edu

Thanks again for visiting!

MyLittleTyke

Hi!

I just became a Tech. I had to take a 32 hour class and attend a car seat checkup clinic. If this is something you are interested in, I highly recommend it. It's a great class!

Best wishes,
    Sara

Robert

You may want to contact Ken Lynch (Orland Park Police) 708-349-4111 who runs the Southern CPS Coalition and has numerous departments in the coalition.