The "real" answer on weight- clothed or not?

ZephyrBlue

I've read some conflicting info. from techs re: whether you weigh a child fully clothed or nakey to determine RF vs FF, and if a seat is outgrown based on weight. If seat manufacturers know that we clothe our kids before putting them in the car (well, most of the time anyway ;) ), it seems that they would weigh the dummies and then clothe/shoe them to more accurately depict an IRL situation. But I'd love to know the real deal.

So which is it? :)

ADS

MomToEliEm

I would love to know the real answer on this as well. It seems to be different depending on who you ask.

My DD#2 was 38.5lb yesterday on our scale. She was in shorts and a shirt and no shoes. I am guessing once she starts wearing jeans and long sleeve shirts and boots she may be closer to that 40lb limit on one of her seats. I am not prepared yet on what seat she will go to after that limit is reached as it is really hard to fit many HWH seats into our truck's back seat. I am hoping the true answer is unclothed as then I have a little extra time.

Maedze

I have no idea if I'm right or not, but I think we can't count on the manufacturer to correctly guess what the weight of the clothes are child are wearing, yeah?

Sneakers, jeans, a cloth diapers, a sweatshirt, hat and mittens weigh more than undies, shorts, and a tank top with a pair of crocs. So I figure you should go by what your kid is wearing fully dressed for the season.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The way I see it is that at the moment of a collision, most children in the carseat or booster, would most likely be dressed and not naked. So go with the dressed weight. The dummies might be naked in tests, but since the restrains are to protect the kids in real life situations, I go with the dress weight for the current season :)

In addition, in the winter, I would even go with dressed weight with the gear that he/she usually have on while seating in the seat - boots, thermal fleece and/or winter outerwear (yeah, not everyone I know have the outer snow suit off, so let's not argue this point :) )

In the summer, light clothing, bare feet if the kid usually has shoes off while sitting in the carseat or booster.

But my honest opinion is that there is always a small margin built-in (by engineers) so if you are like 2-3 ounces over the limit, it's not detrimental.

Mama!

I think the thing that made me decide on always using a clothed weight was a tech said they put the dummies in sweats and tennis shoes. It was way back when I first joined the board, but my ds is 33 lbs naked, and anywhere from 34 - 36 lbs, depending on winter/summer. in Winter he's in a heavy sweater, jeans and heavy leather shoes.

I figure the carseat has to bear the load of his clothes too.:thumbsup:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd guess clothed...the dummies all have very specific wardrobes, here's kind of a funny article about that....

http://www.lipkie.com/humor/1999/990430_36.htm

Some rules are elaborate. For example, a dummy representing a three-year-old child must wear "thermal knit, waffle-weave polyester and cotton underwear or equivalent," the rules say. The shoes must be "size 7M sneakers ... with rubber toe caps, uppers of Dacron and cotton or nylon and a total mass of .453 kg."

Best to put the scale by the door you use to go out to the car, rather than the bathroom, if you're doing a daily weigh in and trying not to exceed 35lbs or whatever :D

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I would also say clothed, because, like a PP said, they're clothed in the car, right?

On the other hand, unless you're dressing your kid in combat boots and bullet-proof vests, their clothes aren't going to make a huge difference. I'm not suggesting that anyone intentionally exceed the weight limit, but I don't think a pair of sneakers is going to make the seat suddenly fail for a child who weighs 39.5 lbs. unclothed.

MissAllyLou

Unless your kid rides in the car, naked, with an empty stomach, you have to weigh you kid when fully clothed. And weighing your kid in shorts and flip flops only counts in the summer, not in the winter. If your kid is 38 pounds sitting in a 40 pound harness, it's time for a new seat or start using it as a booster (if you can). Those 2 pounds can easily be made up by a big meal, an extra cup or milk, or not pooping for 2 days. I'd rather have my kids safe, than be sorry. :twocents:

ZephyrBlue

Okay, the concensus seems to be to use the clothed weight. I'll put the bathroom scale by the front door :D Thanks everyone!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
crap.
DD weighs like 38 pounds with pants and shirt on, i just weighed her. I'm thinking that by the time we put on a sweater, coat and shoes or boots for winter...she's going to be 40. That measn we have no backup seat, since our backup only goes to 40 pounds.
*blarg*

MissAllyLou

crap.
DD weighs like 38 pounds with pants and shirt on, i just weighed her. I'm thinking that by the time we put on a sweater, coat and shoes or boots for winter...she's going to be 40. That measn we have no backup seat, since our backup only goes to 40 pounds.
*blarg*

Bummer :(. I know the GN and the EFTA have been on sale recently, maybe you could grab one of those?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Bummer :(. I know the GN and the EFTA have been on sale recently, maybe you could grab one of those?

Ya, the plan was to get another GN (thats her main seat) when she outgrew her backup seat, but I was thinking we'd make it to next year......now i'm torn, because if I get another right now, it will only be good as a Hbb until she is 9ish......I know, i'm a dork for thining ahead like that, but honestly, I think she'll still need a hbb at that point and of course i won't want to buy one for just a year or two at that point....maybe I need to get a Frontier.......9 years....*drool*

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC