Diaper Blowout Solutions?

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
So, clever people, can you help my sister solve her problem? Her little girl has a tendency to blow out her diapers when she has a bowel movement, and if this happens in the car, my sister then has to wash and line dry the SS1 cover (not a quick process.) This has happened 3 days in a row. Other than a back-up cover, is there anything else she can do? (Cloth diapers aren't an option for her either. ;)) I thought maybe plastic pants over the diapers, but I'm sure you'll all have some better ideas!

ADS

desiree_leigh

I'd be tempted to put a chux pad in there (even if you have to cut out to slip over the buckle?) I know nothing aftermarketetcetc but they're so thin - at least it will cut down on the washing of the cover (but not of the babe). That's what I would do.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Is baby breastfed?

My breastfed daughter had horrible blowouts (like up her back and into her hair!), until I started eliminating foods she was allergic to. The HUGE blowouts stopped when I eliminated dairy.

If baby is formula fed, I'd try switching formula types (from dairy to soy, or soy to hypoallergenic etc).

featherhead

I'd try switching brands of diapers, or moving up a size. For my dd, one diaper worked well at one point, but a different diaper worked better at another point. You just have to try and see what works.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I ditto the others. Also, when I had a kid who did not fit ANY brand of diapers well (and my mom, the cloth diaper expert, could not even get a flatfold on her without major leakage!) I put a plastic cover over and would change her RIGHT before we got in the car, EVERY time.

Shaunam

I'd put a cloth diaper cover over the disposable. Washing one cover once in a while isn't too much work and you can just handwash it in the sink and hang it to dry. Bummis have nice snug legs that will keep it in. We *always* had blow-outs in sposies, even after doing an elimination diet. I hated all the extra washing...the car seat, the swing, the bedding. Even after switching to cloth, I had to use sposies occasionally and we always ended up with blow-outs again. It never even occurred to me to use the covers over the sposies until long after we no longer had that problem. Duh! LOL

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Is it possible that the child needs the next size up in diapers?

:yeahthat: Whenever my son would start having blowouts, I'd move to the next size up, and the problem was gone. The smaller size still seemed to fit well, but it just wouldn't contain the poo. :eek:

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Thanks for all the ideas! It's not possible she needs the next size up - she's only 9lbs and the size she's in now (Kirkland 1-2) is still quite large on her. (Her mom bought some Pampers size 1 to see if they would fit better and had no change in results.) She is breastfed. I had the same problem with DS too, but I had the Jolly Jumper cuddle bag :)eek:) so I could just pull that out and wash it and still have the seat ready to use. I'll give your suggestions to her! :)

musicmaj

I used to put dappi pull on diaper covers over the disposables because we had that problem too. They worked great for us.

rosey2007

I would give Huggies brand diapers a try. She may even want to give Walmart's White Cloud diapers a chance. As you already probably know some diapers fit children differently. I found Huggies to be better for my son when he was a newborn. Huggies also have elastic in the back of the diaper to keep the poo in the proper place.

VirginiaDavis

If it were me, like others have said, I would start trying different diapers. When mine did that, I either moved up a size, or tried a different brand.

hillary116

We have had some luck folding the back of the diaper inwards. The poo collects inside the fold, and not so much up the back. Also, we switched to Huggies from the Kirkland for our baby. She sleeps with her legs up in the air, feet resting on the crib bars- so any poo or pee goes right up her back to her neck. Oddly enough, my twins wore the Kirkland without any trouble!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Personally, we were never able to prevent blow-outs in sposies.
I second what has been mentioned, trying different brands of diapers to see what fits best, making sure the size is correct.
Putting a cloth cover over might help also, as well as putting a VERY thin layer of something on the carseat..I'm thinking buying a couple of shower curtains and cutting them in rectangles to put underneath her. I know that you aren't supposed to put anything, but a half millimeter shower curtain laid down in the seat can't be any differnt than putting a cloth diaper cover on her diaper. It's less than a millimeter thick.

scootiemom

Huggies and Munchkin make the disposable changing pads that have a plastic-y backing with a papery top. I'd line the seat with one of those until the diaper situation gets figured out. That way it is entirely disposable.

TeacherMama

I second the Huggies. We only used Pampers until this started happening to us, too. I put the Huggies on her, and it never happened again. Like the PP said, they have elastic in the back, and I think that does the trick.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC