Opinions, please (seat replacement) *pics added*

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I am really embarrassed to admit this, but I need input.

So yesterday DH backed his big 4X4 into the side of my van :mad:. It was a pretty good bump, as the back tires of the van skidded about 4 inches in the dirt. I had 2 Marathons, an EFTA and a Nautilus installed.

So what do you think?

ETA pics of the damage:

car2.jpg

car.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Re: Opinions, please (seat replacement)

I'd probably replace the EFTA and the Nautilus: if the crash did not meet the NHTSA criteria, I'd keep the Britaxes.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member

I'd probably replace the EFTA and the Nautilus: if the crash did not meet the NHTSA criteria, I'd keep the Britaxes.

Oh man I knew you were going to say that.

Does anyone know if it will be covered by my insurance (Progressive)? There isn't any insurance on DH's truck right now since he just got it running again yesterday (rides his bike all summer and drives it when it gets to icy to ride his bike). I do have full coverage on my van, with a $100 deductible and good uninsured motorist coverage (not sure what off the top of my head, but one of the higher levels).

crunchierthanthou

Does anyone know if it will be covered by my insurance (Progressive)? ... I do have full coverage on my van, with a $100 deductible and good uninsured motorist coverage (not sure what off the top of my head, but one of the higher levels).

possibly, but is the $200 you're going to save on replacement going to be eaten up by higher premiums? I'd probably just spend the $150 on whichever of those two seats you can't live without and save up for the other.

Starlight

Senior Community Member

I'd keep all of them. Really, when you said he backed his 4x4 in to your van, I expected far worse. I think my kid did more damage to my van crashing his power wheels into it. :twocents:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member

I'd keep all of them. Really, when you said he backed his 4x4 in to your van, I expected far worse. I think my kid did more damage to my van crashing his power wheels into it. :twocents:

Lol! Yeah I was watching him do it and expected there to be alot more damage. Thankfully he hit right where he did, because if he had hit the tire or the door it would have been bad. He was going very slow thankfully!

fyrfightermomma

I honestly would not submit it to the insurance company unless you REALLY want the dent fixed and want your premiums to go up :)

If you do want to replace your seats, I'd take the money you would have paid the deductible with and use it towards new seats.

If it was me, I'd really really have to think if I even wanted to replace the seats. :twocents:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Oh! For some reason the pictures weren't there when I posted, and I expected to see damage worse than that.

Britaxes are definitely okay.

It's a tossup on the others. "Moved 4 inches" scares me a little, but there really doesn't seem to be much damage. I would probably still replace, but I wouldn't be panicking if you didn't.

I would not file with insurance. They'd end up going after your husband as an uninsured motorist, and that would get ugly and expensive.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Oh! For some reason the pictures weren't there when I posted, and I expected to see damage worse than that.

Britaxes are definitely okay.

It's a tossup on the others. "Moved 4 inches" scares me a little, but there really doesn't seem to be much damage. I would probably still replace, but I wouldn't be panicking if you didn't.

I would not file with insurance. They'd end up going after your husband as an uninsured motorist, and that would get ugly and expensive.

I posted the pictures after you posted :) I don't know if we are going to replace them. The van sliding sideways was what freaked me out, thinking it hit harder than I had thought. I definitely am not going to file a claim.

sunnymw

So...when you say moved 4", do you mean the truck basically pushed it 4 inches, or it impacted and tossed the van 4"?

BIG difference in the type of impact ;)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
So...when you say moved 4", do you mean the truck basically pushed it 4 inches, or it impacted and tossed the van 4"?

BIG difference in the type of impact ;)

Pushed ;) There were drag marks on the ground, so the tires didn't leave the ground.

Mattkarn

I am not sure if I would feel comfortable using them, but I also don't feel they need to be replaced either. I am really helpful :rolleyes:, I would probrally call Graco and Evenflo and ask their opinion. And they are probrally going to say to replace them. If you do decide to replace you could probrally sell the covers and harnesses (I am assuming they weren't occupied.) to make up some of the cost of the new ones. :twocents:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
As you already know, it is your parental descision to make. If it were me, I don't think I would put the claim in. I would look the seats over closely and then continue to use them if I did not find anything wrong.

Kat_Momof3

you don't have to replace the marathons... as for the Nautilus and EFTA... I think that's a parental decision.

If it were me... I'd put the speed of the 4x4 into account... if it wasn't enough for the seatbelts to lock like in a crash, then I probably would just keep using them after I inspected them.

But I'm sure Evenflo and Graco would say they need replaced.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Oh look - very similar to what my dh did to my car last month... :whistle:

It looks like you have a gravel driveway, yes? I think sliding a few inches on the gravel doesn't mean much. It wouldn't take a lot of force to accomplish that, yk?

FWIW, the crash I was in a couple years ago, where I hit an SUV head-on in our VW - did NOT deploy the airbags, and I was going very slow by the time I hit him (less than 10mph), but there was still considerable damage to the front end of my car. It's all designed to crumple, yk? That was definitely a wreck, but it still didn't even come close to meeting the replacement guidelines. Comparing the damage between my VW and your van in those pictures, I think you're looking a very, VERY minor bump.

ZephyrBlue

Since your vehicle slid in the gravel, I wouldn't replace them, given the circumstances. And I'm a hard-core seat replacer :eek:

I'm so jealous that you're in Anchorage, BTW. I grew up there and miss it soooo much!

Splash

I wouldn't replace them. Would you replace them after a big pothole or slamming the brakes to avoid hitting a dog?

lemurmommies

If it were my car and my carseats, I wouldn't replace them. I really don't think that there was enough of an impact there to warrant replacement, especially since the van moved because it was being pushed by the truck.

Kat_Momof3

I'm glad to see some tech input to agree with me.

I am also in agreement that being on gravel makes a big difference... you're going to see that movement from a bump on gravel... you wouldn't on pavement.

I'd say it's a bump... you could do that just trying to parallel park... nothing to replace seats over.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I wouldn't replace. If you knew what happened to car seats in the delivery truck, seriously, it has already gone through a bump or two.

Just wanted to add that the same thing happened to me. DH in the truck, I was in the mini van. He tapped me at a slight rolling speed. It really munched my door, bad. No car seats though, and the van didn't move.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC