Advice on ERF a tall kiddo

Calleiah

So I have a 38 inch, 32 lb 2 1/2 year old... and it recently came to my attention that most of my carseats (except for 1) are out of date and need to be replaced. We're talking old here, DOM in 98 and 99. These are our back up carseats btw, for dads and grandparents cars. Her main is up to 40 lbs so I have a little time on that one left (and it's only 2 years old). My question is, how would one go about ERF a child this tall. I replaced one of the seats with a Marathon, but I can tell just from putting the seat in her legs are going to be all folded up against the back seat. She routinely wears a 3-4T in pants btw. So thats my problem. I love the idea of putting her back rear facing for a while longer, especially after reading and researching on this site. But Im not sure how to make it work, or if it's even really possible at all.

I also have a 53 inch tall, 75lb 9 year old DD. She's *close* to fitting properly in a regular seat with a regular seat belt, but Im not happy with *close*. Close just doesnt cut it.

So Im revamping my kids safety style. Gimme some advice, hints and suggestions and help me overhaul the way we go about this!

Thanks!

Callie

PS, I have a Chevy Avalanche, seat space really isnt an issue.

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Hi there. The foot room isn't super important. I mean, obviously you want them to be comfortable but it's fine for them to cross their legs or prop them up on the seatback. I have a very tall child too, but even now at a little over 3 years old and about 40 inches tall, can still RF just fine in her Evenflo Triumph Advance. :) Your Marathon should work fine too, although some seats give more foot/leg room than others.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Well the The First Years True Fit would give her more room than than the Marathon, and older/taller kids seem comfortable in it. If you take a look at this thread http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=60302 and scroll down to snowbird25ca's post, you'll see a pic of her almost 4 year old 40.5" tall DD in the True Fit rear-facing. But, if she doesn't complain in the Marathon, then she's fine, and on need to spend the money on a new seat. :)

Calleiah

I just reinstalled the MA RF'ing and put her in it. She tucks her legs up a bit, but she does that in her Ultimax now anyway when she's FF so it must be comfy. Ill see if I can keep her that way for a while longer, heaven knows it's safer.

Thanks for all the (super fast!) input!

Callie

SPJ&E

I just wanted to add that if your Marathon goes to 33 lbs. RF, she's not got much RF time in the seat. Be sure to weigh her fully clothed in the evening to get her true weight. If it goes to 35 lbs. RF, then you've probably got a few months at least.

Either way, good for you doing your research and making changes!

solmama

The Truefit has the tallest shell of all the convertibles at 27", followed by the Recaro Signo (26.5"), Sunshine Kids Radian (25ish"), and Evenflo Triumph Advance (24").

The Truefit is a nice seat. But for rear-facing use, it all depends on how quickly your child gains those last few pounds.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC