Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

What do you guys think?

My mother was in a minor accident this past week. She was rear-ended. The other guy was accelerating and she had just stopped to let someone turn. We're talking a 15-25 mph crash. We had just purchased a new gn for her vehicle in the past couple of months (it is always in the middle row of seats, passenger side, but dd was not in it). State Farm said they would replace (no questions at all)...and we have already purchased a new one and mom has been reimbursed (I just have not went and installed - mom can install them though). Now I'm reading they don't necessarily need replaced in a minor accident (saw criteria on NHSTA website)...and mom's accident met all those criteria. So, what do you guys think? Is the old seat junk? Do we cut the straps, write 'crashed' on it and set it for the trash man? Or is still acceptable for use? I just hate throwing away a seat that looks perfectly fine....if I'm just being crazy carseat mom...

Thanks for listen to me babble.

Amanda
    Mommy to:Grace, Kate, and Claire

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member TerisBoys's Avatar

Re: What do you guys think?

Graco's policy is to replace after any crash.

If it was unoccupied, I'd remove the harness, strap covers and cover and keep them for spares, but trash the shell.

Quote Originally Posted by TerisBoys View Post
    Graco's policy is to replace after any crash.

If it was unoccupied, I'd remove the harness, strap covers and cover and keep them for spares, but trash the shell.
    I totally agree. My DD's Comfortsport in grandma's car was in a crash at like 5-10 mph, and I'm not even comfortable reusing that.
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

Carseat Crazy

Thanks for the tips. My first instinct was that it should be trashed and I would not really be comfortable using it (I was just wanted to make sure I wasn't overreacting).

Thanks again!

Amanda
    Mommy to:Grace, Kate, and Claire