Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Accident seat replacement

I totaled my car yesterday and my 2 1/2 old was with me (he's okay not a bruise or a scratch on him) According to my insurance they won't replace my car seat...

so here's what I got a crashed fpsvd..a Concussion,A hairline crack in my collar bone and hyperextension injury (whiplash) lol

what I really need is some Advice he weighed 29.4 pounds yesterday at the after accident check. I'm def going to rf him still but can't afford a britax seat...so what are my options for a decently padded pref with some eps foam and a 1/2 way decent ff weight.. He has a 12 1/2 inch torso and over all I think he was about 37 inches tall

Plus what should I do with the seat that was in the car ?
    Heather mom to
    Connor|2-7-06|Seatbelt
    Finn|6-16-17|Britax Boulevard click tight
    Rowan|June 2019|Snugride/MaxiCosi Magellan

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Unregistered1

Re: Accident seat replacement

Insurance should be replacing your seat. I don't have much experience in dealing with insurance companies but maybe someone who does can pipe up. I believe there are some things you can do to get them to pay for it if they originally wont. Hopefully that will pan out and you'll be able to get what you want.

I hope you feel better, how terrible... I'm glad the little one is okay though.

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Yikes, so sorry to hear you were hurt. I hope you're feeling better very soon, and thank goodness your little one is alright. This post about crashed seats and insurance has some suggestions for encouraging the insurance company to cover replacing the crashed carseat, and also has suggestions for what to do with the crashed seat:
    http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9575
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

I would push... nay... demand... nah... YELL AND GO NUTS until they pay for the replacing of your seat.

In the meantime, I'd think Evenflo Triumph Deluxe, First Years True Fit, or SK Radian 65.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

they said because I only had liability insurance and the guy who hit me had none that I didn't even have the option to have them replace it
    Heather mom to
    Connor|2-7-06|Seatbelt
    Finn|6-16-17|Britax Boulevard click tight
    Rowan|June 2019|Snugride/MaxiCosi Magellan

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Unfortunately, that's probably true -- if you don't have comprehensive/collision or uninsured motorist coverage, you probably won't get a replacement.

Fortunately, he will likely fit in a Cosco Scenera, which is around $40 and rear-faces to 35 pounds.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

yeah, when it's just liability, it is all on you typically.

I would also look at the scenera and the Avenue

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

The Avenue has EPS foam which the Scenera doesn't, and lasts longer once forward-facing (typically all the way to 40 lbs. which is it's weight limit, it's a tall seat.) It is the "new" version of the Uptown, which you might be able to find still at Big Lots, last time I was there mine had one left, and they were only $65, manufacture date Mar. 08, nice and cushy padding! I really like my Uptown, it's a backup seat for us but I like it a lot. And it has an 8 year lifespan, not 6. So a great deal if you can find it!
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

So glad that your little one was unharmed, and that you weren't more seriously injured...((((hugs)))).

You may also want to look at the First Years True Fit. It's a bit more than the Scenera or Uptown, but goes on sale in the $150-$160 range. It's a great rf seat (35lbs), and ff to 65lbs, with a nice deep shell for side impact protection. It's got built in lock-offs, a nice high harness height, and you don't have to rethread the harness to move it up or down. Personally, I think it competes with the marathon and comes out ahead because of the lower price...

As for your seat that was crashed, you need to destroy it. I'd suggest you save the cover and try sell it to help pay for the new seat. Take the straps out of the shell and cut them up, then write "crashed, do not use" all over the shell in black marker...heck, it's fun to take a sledgehammer to them too ! Then put it all out in a garbage bag on garbage day so noone scavenges it to use.

HTH!

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

If you have a recycling center, call them and see if they'll take your seat. OUr local center will take a seat if you remove all foam and fabric from it, reducing it to just the plastic and metal, and leave it in their scrap plastic and metal bin. (I would still write "crashed, do not use" on it.)

If you're friendly with your local Safe Kids or Highway Patrol you could also ask them if they'd like to use it for demonstrations. (Again, still write "Crashed" on it!)
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

YN2VAETH

We have had our carseats replaced and paid for every time we were in an accident even if the chid was not in the carseat. No matter how minor the accident. What insurance company is it, some took a little more convincing than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather86 View Post
    I totaled my car yesterday and my 2 1/2 old was with me (he's okay not a bruise or a scratch on him) According to my insurance they won't replace my car seat...

so here's what I got a crashed fpsvd..a Concussion,A hairline crack in my collar bone and hyperextension injury (whiplash) lol

what I really need is some Advice he weighed 29.4 pounds yesterday at the after accident check. I'm def going to rf him still but can't afford a britax seat...so what are my options for a decently padded pref with some eps foam and a 1/2 way decent ff weight.. He has a 12 1/2 inch torso and over all I think he was about 37 inches tall

Plus what should I do with the seat that was in the car ?