Question 3 across in a 91/92 Accord, 2 door?

NannyMom

My boss wants to know if we can fit 3 across in her DH's car. I had planned for a 3 across in a new car for him (09 accord), but she says his car is holding on so he's not getting a new one yet. I had been thinking a Radian FF, SS1, and Parkway or this NBB I can get (not sure what it is, but it alot narrower than the Graco TB). DadBoss is rarely home, so I don't often get to even see in his car. Does anyone know if these will fit there?

ADS

Kat_Momof3

in my experience with a 2-door, I'd be thinking ss1, Parkway or nbb, and ride safer vest.

then, once the ss1 is outgrown, use the Radian.

But it's very hard to put 3 across in a 2-door...

if the middle seat has a shoulderbelt AND a headrest, then the options increase... because you could put a nbb in the middle between two Radians.

NannyMom

Thanks. I know the center has no head rest, and I think it's a lap only belt. Also, A is about 1/2 and inch to an inch from being too tall for a nbb (infact, I think the Graco TB makes her too tall, but the cosco they have gives her a little room), even with the headrests (non adjustable).

How do the ride safer vests work? Does a seatbelt go through the back of it?

Kat_Momof3

no, the seatbelt goes in front, which is why it works so well (unlike the tote n' go, where it installs with the seatbelt in back.

they will have to have a top tether for it, though... but that could be retrofitted.

I'd put the cosco nbb on one side, the ride safer vest in the middle, and that should leave room for the ss1.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
TA part number
Honda Accord 2D/4D All-'99
Center & Outboard: 82410-SE3-C01

NannyMom

Thanks! I was wrong, it's not 91/92, it's a 96. But, it looks like it'd be all the same info :) Does Honda do it for free?

And a question about the ridesafer vest. It's used with the seatbelt.....so do you use it with a booster too? Otherwise, how does it not cause internal organ damage if the lapbelt doesn't fit right?

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have a '92 Accord EX-R 2-door sport coupe (well dh is holding on to it). I have 2 PW in there for the older kids and there is just no room for a rf carseat at all. Dh tells me that Honda changes designs every 4 yrs or so. In addition, to the width issue, the outboard seats are sloped and sunk while the middle has a hump.

So the '96 Accord is different than the '92. Yes tether anchors can be retrofitted in all 3positions for any Accord.

And the RSTVest is a booster seat (in lieu of a booster seat) so no, you don't wear/use the RSTV while sitting on a booster seat. If I read your post correctly. When used with lap-only, the top tether MUST be used which eliminate the use of the centre seat for the RSTV.

NannyMom

When used with lap-only, the top tether MUST be used which eliminate the use of the centre seat for the RSTV.

Ok, now I'm confused. You said a TA can be retrofitted to all 3 locations in the back. So, the RSTV can be used with a lap belt and tether. But if I read what you wrote correctly, you said I can't use the center seat for the RSTV.

I think I'll have to find a vest to see how it adjusts the belt. CUz I'm just not seeing it in my head.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Ok, now I'm confused. You said a TA can be retrofitted to all 3 locations in the back. So, the RSTV can be used with a lap belt and tether. But if I read what you wrote correctly, you said I can't use the center seat for the RSTV.

Duh! I was thinking about the headrest when I wrote that :eek: So sorry!!!

Yes, the vest can be used w/ the tether anchor in, but make sure tip of ears cannot be higher than the top of the non-headrest centre seating. There is also that hump in the middle position where there is no headrest.

I think I'll have to find a vest to see how it adjusts the belt. CUz I'm just not seeing it in my head.

The vest works well. But it's not as simple as clipping in the seatbelt as a booster does. The vest requires a few steps to secure:

- the 2 front buckles on the vest to be buckled in,
- the scrotch strap needs to from back to front and be velcro in (like in a life jacket, so the child would not submarine underneath),
- the seatbelt needs to go through 2 lap-portion seatbelt guides (metal clips at the waist level), then buckle in
- if using a lap-and-shoulder seatbelt, then the shoulder portion goes in the shoulder seatbelt 'guide' as well
- the tether anchor needs clipping in

The vest can be left tethered in 'permanently' (instead of attaching every time), but the rest of the steps need to be repeated for every single use. Is this something she would do everytime?

Btw, there should be the instruction on the RSTV site.

NannyMom

Ok, so there will be no 3 across in this car :) lol. I don't see DadBoss doing all that, the kids will freak out because J is not "safe as a house" and then Dad will freak out (on me?).

So, I think I'll vote they just get 2 HBBs, or 1 HBB and a GN :) No Baby in Dad's car unless he wants to have the base installed each time. Again, it'd be VERY rare that he have any of the kids.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Honda doesn't retrofit tether anchors for free. Each tether anchor kit (Honda calls it a "plate assembly") costs approx. $13-$15 per kit at Honda dealerships, and the installation labor charge is not included. Dealership labor charges can be spendy even for a fraction of an hour of labor. Detailed instructions for installing tether anchors are supposed to be in the owner's manual for Honda models, and someone who is handy with a torque wrench can probably install herself/himself to save on labor charges. There's also at least one online source for the Honda tether anchor retrofit kit with a lower price for the kit, although there would be a shipping charge:
http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-PLATE-ASSY__82410-SE3-C01.aspx

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC