Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

EH and booster use help. Specially from Conn.

I have a friend who lives in conn. and is recently goign to start carpooling for a friend and their 7 year old dd is not in a booster. My friend told the friend that it is her car her rules and that she will be in a booster in their car. She has connections with the school and wants to send home with all the students a flyer talking about booster use. I mentioned extended harnessing also, which she was ok with but prefers more so the booster use so the whole school would benefit. Does anyone have a flyer that can be passed out, that also explains the 5 step test.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: EH and booster use help. Specially from Conn.

Jennifer, Special Needs CPST, peds nurse, and CSFTL Admin mom to:
    AJ-13 (five steps), Evan-11 (nbb),
    Ilana-9 (nbb) ,
    Olivia-7 (hbb), and
    Unity-3 (rf and ff)

I know about the booster non use in CT, since I live here. I have teeny tiny piano students who can't be more than 40 -45 lbs that sit in nothing in the front seat. My own kids are bigger than they are and they are no where near big enough to properly fit the seatbelt. It makes me sad.

The law here is 6 AND 60 lbs. Most parents assume that as soon as their child turns 7 they can be out of a booster but they also must be 60lbs. Obviously we want children to properly pass the 5 step test before getting out of a booster and not just going by the law minimums.
    Angie mama to R 4 years, 33 lbs/38 inches in a radian
    W 7 years,66 lbs/51 inches in a parkway
    M 9 years, 58 lbs/51 inches in a parkway

Ambassador - CPS Technician CTPDMom's Avatar

CT law is OVER 6 AND 60lbs. So you must have reached your 7th birthday, and once you turn 7 you must remain in a booster (or harnessed seat) until you reach 60lbs.

CT Safe Kids just created a new, double-sided flyer which is GREAT. It talks about ERF, proper harness adjustment, not using both LATCH and seatbelt, using tethers, properly fitting boosters and DOES outline the 5 step test. It specifies BEST PRACTICE along with CT Law.

http://www.ctsafekids.org/BoosterSea...ish_proof4.pdf

Be sure to note there are 2 pages to this PDF file. You could always just use the booster side although it's no more paper to make the flyers 2 sided and anyone with younger kids would get alot out of the other side also.

Here is another one, JUST for boosters. Also specifies best practice and CT Law. I'm not as fond of this one as it doesn't address side impact protection, it shows 2 pics, one of which is a fairly small child in a LBB.

http://www.ctsafekids.org/Booster%20Seat%20Final.pdf
    Last edited by CTPDMom; 10-08-2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Forgot 2nd link
    CPST - Special Needs Trained

The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.