Radian 80 Due out in Sept.????

U

unregistered

Hi everyone, it's me, yoshiandluke, I can't log on to post for some reason....I was researching the Sunshine Kids Radian for our other vehicle (a '99 Camry, no LATCH or tether) and was surprised to find this website preselling the "Radian 80" which has a harness limit of 80 lbs. due out this September. Sunshine Kids website has no mention of it from what I could find and the photo on the retailer's site looks like the Radian 65 photo. Do any of you have knowedge of this new seat? If we are lucky, perhaps they will make some changes to the seat so that it is easier to install FF w/seatbelts??? Wishful thinking?! I am totally sold on the Radian for us, and if so, I will find a CAR to fit the seat! Hehe....DH needs a new car anyway, it has 230,000 miles on it! Any insider info?

ADS
U

Unregistered

From what ive heard it is the same exact seat just with a higher weight limit. They didn't make any changes to it not even move the straps up higher. so yeah kinda dissapointing, but it will be good for very short kids i guess.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Yes, techs (Jools and Heather/Murphydog IIRC) who attended the Lifesavers conference in April reported back that Sunshine Kids had retested the 65 lb. weight limit Radian using a heavier test dummy and it passed testing with an 80 lb. FF weight limit. The Sunshine Kids rep. indicated the Radian would be re-released with an 80 lb. weight limit, so it's likely your link is the same Radian seat recertified to 80 lbs. FF without any other changes.

ccjones

I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing. It still says the maximum height is 49". So, I guess if you have a long-torsoed child, the Radian 80 would be outgrown by height well before weight. However, if your child is all legs, then it might be OK. But they really should make the top harness slots higher to compete more with the Regent. I see they are charging $279 for the new Radian 80, so if it is really is the same exact seat as the 65 lb version, than I saved myself $100 and now I have a seat that goes to 80lbs, assuming DS doesn't outgrow it first! LOL

Colleen

Splash

I would NOT use your seat above 65 pounds unless they specifically come out and say that it is the exact same. Not worth it by a mile. Here is a picture of it. Looks different to me, but might just be the leather.

However, if they really and truly DID make an 80 lb convertible with high enough top slots that is that narrow and has a 7 year life span... then they have just made the best carseat ever.

ccjones

Splash said:
I would NOT use your seat above 65 pounds unless they specifically come out and say that it is the exact same. Not worth it by a mile.

Yeah, I wouldn't use it to 80lbs unless I got the OK from SKJP. I doubt I would be able to use it to 80lbs anyways, even if it were allowed, simply because the top slots are not THAT much higher than the MA. I have a feeling DS is going to be a stringbean, tall and skinny...so he'll most likely outgrow it in height before weight.

I looked at the pic you posted, and the harness slots appear to be in the same positions as my current Radians. According to the manual the three lowest slots, which are angled, are for RF, and the top two slots are for FF. I personally don't like the leather seatcover in that pic, I can see lots of kids sweating with that!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
That's frustrating. If I could get a seat like the Regent w/out the width, it'd be great! But if they didn't raise the straps any, that won't do us any good. My kids are so long torsoed, AJ is already on the top straps of his Radian at 34#, he'll be way out height wise before weight (he's 37-38").

Dillipop

Does anyone know if they will continue to sell the radian 65 once the radian 80 is out? I know my DS would be out of it well before 65 pounds and would rather spend $100 less if the top slots are the same. If they are only going to have the 80 pound version, we will have to look at getting one this summer, rather than this fall.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
You will only need 1 car seat from birth!

I'm hoping they're just talking harnessed seats here and excluding boosters as this seat is only good for 7 yrs and we know kids need to be in some kind of seat longer than that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC