Have you emailed about rfing limits yet?

Have you written to anyone concerning rfing limits?

• Yes, I wrote to a car seat manufacturer

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Yes, I wrote to a lawmaker.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I wrote to both lawmakers and car seat manufacturers

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Not yet, but I plan to.

• No, and I don't plan to.

• Other

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

christineka

We were all given the charge to help do something about the rear-facing limits. Anyone done anything yet?

I just emailed the "Big 3" car seat manufacturers. Not sure who else to write to. I thought they might not dismiss me as a weirdo if others emailed too.

ADS

mamabear

Planning on it.
DH has been out of town , not much time to formulate an articulate letter..I'm doing it when he gets home:thumbsup:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I actually did this awhile ago - end of May or else June 2007. I emailed Transport Canada with a bunch of questions and comments back then. :thumbsup:

The laws in Canada allow for carseat manufacturers to certify their seats up to 48lbs rf'ing right now - but nobody has ever done it. It's ultimately up to the manufacturers to make & certify seats to higher rf'ing weights, so maybe with enough people pestering them more manufacturers will give it serious thought.

If I was to pick one manufacturer as the most likely to figure out a way to test to higher weights, I'd probably go with SK and the Radian - with it's steel frame I think it's most likely to pass with a higher weight dummy without any major modifications to it - though perhaps a 2nd rf'ing boot would be needed to reduce the recline?

I imagine if Britax put a rebound bar on it's convertibles, and then required australian style tethering they'd also be able to pass rf'ing at higher weights without having a foot prop - which from what I've gathered is one of the big problems as it's not allowed in the US (not sure about Canada...) And then that (rebound bar, australian tethering,) would need to be combined with having a dummy that would fit appropriately in the seat in order for testing. I guess that is where the government would be able to help - having another AMD added would probably be necessary...

eta: Now that I think about it, I've corresponded with Evenflo about the rf'ing weight limit on the EFTA in Canada. Though unfortunately I didn't get anywhere, they said they'd look into it and discuss it with TC. Who knows if they have or not though, that kind of thing tends to move at a snails pace. *shrug*

Andie

I chose other.
I have been corresponding with NHSTA the past couple days. They say that they do recommend ERF, but I've only seen one flyer that it says that. I have it saved to my computer, I'm at my mom's but, I can post it in a bit. I plan on emailing lawmakers and car seat companies very soon.

Scatterbunny and I also have written a letter to our local paper about car seat safety and they will be running it next week.

fyrfightermomma

I wrote to both Graco and Britax. I picked them because they already have higher weight rear facing seats out in different countries. The technology is there. They just need to bring it to us!

NannyMom

I just tried to email Graco and it wouldn't go through. So I called, and the rep said they don't have any seats coming out beyond 30 pounds (umm...not even a SR 32?). She said I could email her (and she gave me her direct email) and she could forward it on.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Not sure if this counts as it was before grandpa's post and it doesn't deal with weight, but I spoke to Sunshine Kids and Britax about removing the 32" RF height limit on Canadian seats and told them that were most definitely misinterpreting CMVSS 213 (as SK told me they were "following Canadian standards". SK told me they would look into it (and a couple weeks after in a SK chat, I believe SK mentioned to more people that they were going to look into it). Britax never responded.

Andie

In Luv2befishin's thread about his grandson, he gave permission to tell the story. The only thing he wants in return is for us to write these people about the issue. Post #21.

Am I missing something? Was there a post urging us to email them?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I've also already written everyone possible when I joined the forum, before I became a CPST. I will be writing again during either fall break or my holiday break.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC