SUV with 3 across?

C

contractbb

We have a 3 year old and a 1 year old in Britax marathons. We have another child due in Sept and our lease is up on our Toyota Highlander around the same time.

We are looking for recommendations on an SUV which will fit three across in the back seat comfortably and safely. The third seat would be a graco snugride while she is a newborn - we haven't bought a toddler seat yet, although, since we like the marathon, this is an option.

Any ideas?

Thx

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I can probably fit three Wizards across my backseat. I know I can do two with the middle one installed properly first and have it not move, so I would assume that another can go on the other side of it without a problem.

I drive a 2001 Nissan Xterra. I don't know how the newer Xterras do in this department.

Wendy

skaterbabs

I know I could do it (MA/MA/MA or MA/SR/MA) in our '94 Suburban, I don't know how the Tahoe/Yukon (the smaller version) would do. From what I understand, they're as wide as the Suburban, just shorter.

Splash

I have an Aztek and I can fit two Huskies and a Boulevard in the back seat just fine if I put the BV in the middle. It's tight, but doable. I could easily fir three marathons or two marathons and a snugride. With the basket I've only done an Apex (same width as the husky, much wider than a marathon) outboard and a Graco SafeSeat (bigger than a snugride) center with plenty of room for an adult on the other side.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
If you like your Highlander, what about another one with the third row option? That would depend on getting the 3rd row passenger in and out of their seat, of course.

Otherwise, I'd look at the models you like and pay attention to the rear seat hiproom specifciations. Though it does vary with the type of vehicle seats and seatbelts, larger numbers are generally better for 3-across. The Highlander is reasonable with 54.9" on the 2006 model. You might find the right mix of child seats work in yours.

Tara

I currently have BG/FPSE/PW in the 3rd row of my Expedition (2nd row would actually be a tad larger I do believe, but one seat is always flipped down for access in that row, never had 3 seats there)
I can also fit BG/MA/PW back there. And PW/FPSE/rf MA. And BG/RA/PW.

If that helps any. I know you said convertibles, and I mentioned having 2 boosters for most of my options. But still, it fits. I can easily fit 3 harnessed seats back there, it's trickier with the boosters because I have to allow room/arrange for the kids to be able to buckle themselves next to another seat.
I've also had..I think it was a Husky (actually SE, but anywho)/FPSE/RA in the rear of a Suburban.

Are you thinking full, mid or small sized SUV?

Tara

Um, it was a....argh! hehe '94 'burb The seat was in an outboard position.
I'm *pretty sure* it was those seats all in the back. Seems like forever ago that we had that vehicle and I plead 'mommy brain' *shrug*
I remember for sure having all those seats at that time..but now that I posted, I can't CLEARLY recall having them all in that back row. Geesh!

skaterbabs

LOL I'd be happy if I could get a Regent center with PWs outboard, but when I put the Regent in the center back seat it didn't look like it would fit with them. I know there isn't a problem in the 2nd row with the MA and TBs.

Tara

Yeah, the Regent with flanking PWs is going to be rather different than one with flanking convertibles of whatever kind. As it's one thing to squeeze your hands through tough spots to buckle something 'once and for all' as opposed to a *child* trying to buckle next to it day after day.
At least with the convertibles, you can fudge a little at the edges to make room. You can't fudge so well when we're talking boosters.
Wow...I bet that *would* be tight to try a Regent flanked by PWs..picturing that one..mm hmm that Regent doesn't leave a lot of room back there, especially not when it takes its portion from the center!
A Regent outboard, MA center and PW outboard *might* puzzle together ??

I keep thinking about the Regent again myself. As opposed to a new MA for the girl. Getting a Regent for my 4.5 yr old, passing the MA down to the 2 yo girl (well, she's currently IN it but anywho)..but then what? Where/how would I fit everyone?

Hmm do I feel another 'Oh no, Tara's been thinking again' thread coming on? LMHO

Tara

With another seat on the other side? Sometimes that is what made a difference with us. We had a hard time with a BG in the back with 2 convertibles (FPSE and MA) but the FPSE flanked by BG and PW, neither booster has a problem buckling ???

skaterbabs

With our Suburban, I noticed in the 2nd row the pasenger outboard seat is bigger than the driver's outboard. I'm tempted to try the Regent passenger outboard, MA or Radian center, PW driver's outboard, then in the 3rd row TB/MA-Radian/TB when I have my neighces & nephew.

Tara

aaah interesting...I wonder if the Expedition is any different ?? just for curiosity's sake ya know ;) hehe

How much hassle do you think it would be to have a BPB in the seat that normally allows access to the rear? When we go somewhere, we can be in and out of the vehicle a dozen times. And I would have 2 or 3 to get to the rear.

I have found myself, lately, being ready for my 9 yr old to sit in just the belt *gasp* for convenience.

He'd have to move up to 2nd row outboard, but if on passenger (folding seat) side, it'd be no sweat to flip the seat for access.

Oh, I'm rambling/hijacking thread again

skaterbabs

Honestly, to me having a booster in that position would be pretty easy. Boosters are sooo easy to move. I'm constantly removing the boys' TBs and putting them back in the Jeep.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Roman is outboard and can buckle himself. He's been doing so for over a year now in the Parkway and before that, he was doing it in a German seat that has armrests. He definitely has a harder time with the armrests than without.

Being outboard makes it much easier for me to buckle him (I pull the seat away from the center, buckle, then push it back into position), but I don't think it makes a difference to him.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
skaterbabscpst said:
I know I could do it (MA/MA/MA or MA/SR/MA) in our '94 Suburban, I don't know how the Tahoe/Yukon (the smaller version) would do. From what I understand, they're as wide as the Suburban, just shorter.

I have gotten 3 Britax seats across the 2nd row of Tahoe/Yukon's many of times.

My Tahoe has 2nd row caption chairs so obvisiously I can't get 3 across my Tahoe.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
skaterbabscpst said:
Tara, when you had the Husky in the rear of your Suburban, what year and what position was it?

Dh drives a '02 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crewcab. We currently have Kaylee's Regent passenger outboard with Kinlee's Roundabout in the center. We could easily get another Regent in the driver outboard if we needed. If we had a Marathon in there it would be a lot easier as it is on a base where our RA is the old style base. It's tight up top on the seats because the widest part of both seats hit at the same spot. I have to install the RA first then the Regent.

skaterbabs

That's interesting, because I really don't think I could get the Regent center with the PWs outboard, although it might be possible to do a Regent/Radian(lapbelt)/PW in the 3rd row......

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC