Making a booster choice: SIP or child can buckle self

Which seat would you choose?

• SIP, moving the seat and buckling yourself

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Little SIP, child buckles self

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

christineka

You have 3 across and can either pick a seat with great sip, but you have to move the booster out, buckle, then move the kid/booster back. (All the while the child is whining and complaining about how they can't buckle themself. or you can choose a thin booster with little sip, but the child can buckle themself easily without throwing a screaming fit. Which to choose?

ADS

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Sorry can't vote because I would vote for both. We have the Britax Parkway which gives us both the SIP but also allows my dd to buckle herself up. Can I ask what boosters are you looking at?

christineka

There are 16 inches of physical space from the plastic underside of the car seat to the edge of the bench. The parkway's seat would hang 1 inch off the bench and the buckle would be smashed up between the booster and the car seat.

I'm looking at them all!

christineka

I change the rfing seats between vehicles. (We have 4 rfing seats, but I play musical car seats all the time.) Currently the seats are rfing avenue, rfing scenera, and a turbobooster. The turbo kid has some issues with buckling, but is usually okay. She's next to the window and tends to hang her head way down when asleep. I have this idea of getting her a seat with great sip, but I fear it won't fit- or if it does it will be barely.

Recently we had the nautilus in the middle with boosters on the sides. It was awful how much crying and screaming took place while I had to do the trick with moving the seat, buckling, then sticking the seat into place.

We are planning to get a Sienna in about 6 months. Then we could put the booster kiddos in the middle. Or, one in the middle with the fp and one on the side. Not sure we could fit with something with sip.

I know those rfing seats that are up on bases free up space to buckle, but there is no way I could convince dh to shell out that kind of money for seats that might fit in the van- plus, the little ones are really little and will likely be 40 pounds by age 7.

Oh, and the bench is 50 inches long. There is a 2-seater bench with more room, but If I buy one booster with good sip, I want it to be the one by the window. The child who sits in the middlish position sleeps beautifully in her turbo and is not near a window.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Supposedly the new Clek Oobr will be the narrowest booster that offers SIP on the market. It's supposed to released by the end of the year.

ZephyrBlue

After watching crash test videos of a regular HBB w/shallow side and head wings compared to one with deep wings, we're all about the most SIP possible. It is a pain to have to climb in, move stuff around and buckle, but IMO, it's worth the hassle. The Parkway might work for you- I think the only place that still has them is www.buybuybaby.com. If you can hold out for the Clek Oobr, that would probably be your best bet.

Here's a link to the thread where I asked for the videos- links are there

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=59407

christineka

Unfortunately, I don't think dh will go for spending $200 on a booster. $100 is a stretch. I'll have to try out the parkway to see if it would even fit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC