Mazda3 Hatchback and car seats - Help needed

C

carotte

Hello,
I read one person's post here about a possible difficulty with securing a car-seat in the middle rear of the Mazda3. We were about to buy a Mazda 3 s-touring (because of the airbag options!) tomorrow, but then I read that there may be problems with both the hump in the back rear seat and also potential clearance issues with the front seat when it is pushed back. Since my husband is 6'4" this is a concern. I would PREFER to have my baby in the back center, because I understand that this is the safest position, and I have concerns about buying a car that might not allow that because of the shape of the seat and the rear leg-room and front seat clearance issues. We will be using a rear-facing seat. I wonder if anyone has any experience or wisdom to share.

Thank you!

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
try your seat and baby out in the car before you buy.

How old is your baby? Once your baby has good head/neck control you can put their seat more upright.

Also RF is very safe----RF on the outside is probably safer than FF in the center.

Susan

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Any seat in back is very safe if the child seat can be installed properly there. The middle position may have a slight advantage, but there really are not the statistics to prove this convincingly. Some new studies indicate the advantage may be even smaller than we thought.

On the other hand, insist on side curtain airbags if they are an option.

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
I had a mazda 3 hatch from 2004 till this January, when I upgraded to a Mazda 5. I also had an infant seat in the middle at first, the hump does pose a problem sometimes. I found it better to install it on the passenger side, so the driver seat could move back as needed. I got a much tighter install there. I have the 5 now, and LOVE it, I have so much room for my two kids and it handles a lot like my 3 did. Side curtain airbags are standard with the 5also.

C

carotte

Thank you!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I really appreciate it. I feel better.
I will bring carseats, etc. to the dealership. (baby is not here yet, so baby will have to wait!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC