Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    SoVeryBlessed

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee & FPSV Install

My son is almost 2, and rides in a FPSV installed in the center rear position in our 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Based on a trip we were taking, we were forced to move his seat to the outboard position in the vehicle only to find that the headrests in the back seat do not move. Working around this, I have not been able to get the correct angle on my installs of the seat in that position. The top of the seat is leaning too far forward.

I've read several places that the headrests are a design flaw, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for working around them to get a good installation in the outboard positions.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Megan

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Re: 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee & FPSV Install

Apparently Jeep is allowing the seat to be reclined slightly so that the headrest interferes less. If you're still unable to get a good installation though, and the seat is going to need to be outboard regularly, you may need to call it incompatible and get a different seat. All of the Britax convertibles have this problem in the new Jeeps, and I wouldn't doubt some other brands do too.

It's not so much that it's a design flaw - the design is purposeful in that it's designed to protect adult occupants from neck injury. That forward tilt is something we're seeing on more and more vehicles because of the improvement in protection. Unfortunately, with a headrest that can't be removed, it causes serious problems with carseat compatibility. Auto manufacturers unfortunately aren't thinking of that aspect though - and it's a tight rope to try and walk... adults have different needs for best protection, but the very things that keep adults safer make child seat installation more difficult. Hopefully we'll see manufacturers making headrests removable again in the near future. (Though them not being removable is again purposeful - can't get lost if you can't take them off...)
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.