Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    CPS Fanatic

i'm so worried...? on frontier or booster

future carseat situation in abotu 3.5yrs away. OH my....i've been jotting down 1.5pages of info of "what ifs". when to buy a newER van; when kids will outgrow seats & the car postion shuffles.

my biggest worrry is if we can't afford a newER van with headrests & TA in 3rd row we are doomed....james will likely HAVE to go to a booster at 5.5yo when i wanted him harnessed til at least 6yo in Regent. long story but my older boys will have to take over the capt chairs in the 2nd row that have TA retrofitted. my 2 younger kids will have to go in the 3rd row without the headrests & TA's (trust me i've tried to get retrofitted - its nto possible in the 3rd row)

so which is better besides getting a new van....

1. boostering my 5.5yo in say something like the monterey or the like ( for SIP & HIGH belt guides). would boostering a child that age be that terrible? he is tall for his age. currently in the 90%tiles

OR

2. buying a frontier to harness still that i CANNOT tether. i believe it has to be tethered beyond 65lbs? am i right? i do like the fact that the frontier makes an incredibly TALL booster. would he have any real harness room to be worth it?

you know after i wrote this, i think i know what you're gonna say. LOL
    Last edited by ginny4; 10-04-2008 at 11:37 AM.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Re: i'm so worried...? on frontier or booster

I know you like to think ahead (we all do ) but seriously, I would reassess as the situation approaches to see what what your options are then. Who knows what car seats will be in 2-3 years! (I'm sure you knew I was going to say that. )

I will also say that if, at 5.5, your son has a booster that fits him well and he can sit properly at all times, I would be comfortable with him in the booster.
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

CPS Fanatic

LOL you're right i just knew you'd say that. ok trying to forget about it for now. all is good & safe now & that's what counts.

I agree with all of that.

Plus, in my experience, with a 90% kid, he may not fit the frontier harness at that point... or he may, if his growth slows.

I would wait and see.

but it's close enough that what I would do would depend on maturity and weight, but 5.5yrs is close to 6. 5yrs is my bare minimum for booster use at all these days, unless no other option, so I'd be hard pressed not to go ahead and use a monterey to keep the others tethered if you had to.

on the other hand, there are always Radians (not sure if they are an option in your van, though)

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos