Question i'm so worried...? on frontier or booster

ginny4

future carseat situation in abotu 3.5yrs away. OH my....i've been jotting down 1.5pages of info of "what ifs". when to buy a newER van; when kids will outgrow seats & the car postion shuffles.

my biggest worrry is if we can't afford a newER van with headrests & TA in 3rd row we are doomed....james will likely HAVE to go to a booster at 5.5yo when i wanted him harnessed til at least 6yo in Regent. long story but my older boys will have to take over the capt chairs in the 2nd row that have TA retrofitted. my 2 younger kids will have to go in the 3rd row without the headrests & TA's (trust me i've tried to get retrofitted - its nto possible in the 3rd row)

so which is better besides getting a new van....

1. boostering my 5.5yo in say something like the monterey or the like ( for SIP & HIGH belt guides). would boostering a child that age be that terrible? he is tall for his age. currently in the 90%tiles

OR

2. buying a frontier to harness still that i CANNOT tether. i believe it has to be tethered beyond 65lbs? am i right? i do like the fact that the frontier makes an incredibly TALL booster. would he have any real harness room to be worth it?

you know after i wrote this, i think i know what you're gonna say. LOL

Last edited:
ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I know you like to think ahead (we all do ;)) but seriously, I would reassess as the situation approaches to see what what your options are then. Who knows what car seats will be in 2-3 years! :thumbsup: (I'm sure you knew I was going to say that. :p)

I will also say that if, at 5.5, your son has a booster that fits him well and he can sit properly at all times, I would be comfortable with him in the booster.

ginny4

LOL you're right i just knew you'd say that. ok trying to forget about it for now. all is good & safe now & that's what counts.

Kat_Momof3

I agree with all of that.

Plus, in my experience, with a 90% kid, he may not fit the frontier harness at that point... or he may, if his growth slows.

I would wait and see.

but it's close enough that what I would do would depend on maturity and weight, but 5.5yrs is close to 6. 5yrs is my bare minimum for booster use at all these days, unless no other option, so I'd be hard pressed not to go ahead and use a monterey to keep the others tethered if you had to.

on the other hand, there are always Radians (not sure if they are an option in your van, though)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC