Program Code R7C (Ford tether retrofit)

tiggermnch

The chase has a 40 lb weight limit on the harness. After that it is booster only. (And no. Most kids won't get to 110 in it as a booster.)

There are several alternatives that have been mentioned- including a tether anchor from a car seat manufacturer instead.

Yes I know it converts to a booster but the other seats recommended go up to a max weight of 40-45 and then I would have to buy a booster after, am I wrong in seeing it that way?? And I must have missed where I could use a car seat tethet anchor. Do they fit any car make and model?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Evenflo SureRide, for instance, would rear face to 40 lbs and then forward face to 65.

The Ez-On Heavy duty tether anchor is not officially approved for use with other seats as a rule, but they have approved such use on a case by case basis.

It does involve drilling and sealing etc. Here's a rundown: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=175152

Since you want to investigate getting the official retrofit first (which is a good plan) and since rear facing as long as possible is safest, and since you have a smaller child, I think many of us would simply rear face to 5 and then booster in your situation. But you have options to decide between for sure.

tiggermnch

I took a look at that one and it looks like for forward facing there is a bottom tether which again would put me in the same boat. I am going to check evenflos site. So after the weight limit he would just sit in the back without a seat? I know they cant sit in front until 12 years old but not sure about the no car seat in the back rule

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You do have the option of not top tethering the seat. I don't recommend it.

The idea is that if you rear face long enough, it gives you time to either a) arrange a retrofit or b) move to booster if the child is old and mature enough.

tiggermnch

Thanks ketchupqueen that was alot of info. Yea not doing the top tether is not an option I am going for. I know evenflo has a tether kit but I am unsure of the size I am guessing Ford wont install. I am calling tomorrow to see what they say my options are...if only I had known about this stuff years ago I could have got it taken care of earlier :thanx!::thanx!::thanx!::thanx!::thanx!:

aggiemom

I can't see how if his poor legs area already curled up in the mustang right now
tiggermnch, my daughter is 3.5 & in the 75th percentile for height & weighs about 32/33 lbs & still rear faces. She crosses her legs, hangs them over the sides or keeps them in a butterfly position. She's in a Diono Radian RXT. It rear faces up to 45 lbs & if I remember correctly, it front faces with the harness up to 80 lbs & then you can booster with a seat belt up to 110 or 120 lbs.

Last edited:

aggiemom

I took a look at that one and it looks like for forward facing there is a bottom tether which again would put me in the same boat. I am going to check evenflos site. So after the weight limit he would just sit in the back without a seat? I know they cant sit in front until 12 years old but not sure about the no car seat in the back rule
I think what you are referring to a bottom tether on the Evenflo Sureride is the strap to pull the harness tight. No? I've never heard of a bottom tether.

tiggermnch

UPDATE: called Ford this am and they told me to talk to the parts manager directly and they should contact the other dealerships to get the part so the can install it. Talked to the parts manager and he ordered the part from another dealership, will be here in a week and then they will install for me.:jive:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
UPDATE: called Ford this am and they told me to talk to the parts manager directly and they should contact the other dealerships to get the part so the can install it. Talked to the parts manager and he ordered the part from another dealership, will be here in a week and then they will install for me.:jive:

Fantastic!

aggiemom

Wonderful!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi WhiteGhost, welcome to car-seat.org. Once your newly registered car-seat.org account has been approved by Admin, which has apparently happened in the meantime since you first posted, you should now be able to access the linked/attached .pdf file noted upthread regarding Ford's top tether anchor retrofit program R7C. Here's the link to take you directly to the .pdf file: http://www.car-seat.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=19326&d=1357607813 That all said, though, Ford's program R7C is for retrofitting top tether anchors (not lower LATCH anchors) in pre-factory equipped, retrofittable Ford models. Your 2000 Ford Excursion is already factory equipped with top tether anchors for each of its second row seating positions according to the LATCH manual and cannot be retrofitted with any additional top tether anchors.

Last edited:

nkamm

Any info for a 1989 Mustang GT hatchback? Went to a few dealers with the paperwork and no one had any clue what i was talking about. Not even sure of the part number or location of the anchor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my son would love to come to car shows with me, but the wife said no way until the car seat is secure. Just spent a decent amount of money putting the factory rear seat back (deleted it well before babies)

aggiemom

Any info for a 1989 Mustang GT hatchback? Went to a few dealers with the paperwork and no one had any clue what i was talking about. Not even sure of the part number or location of the anchor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my son would love to come to car shows with me, but the wife said no way until the car seat is secure. Just spent a decent amount of money putting the factory rear seat back (deleted it well before babies)

My dealer was clueless also. We needed one installed in our 2000 Ford F-250 ext. cab. I had to call corporate & then they called my dealer & filled them in. The hard part was finding the part, but they were able to get their hands on one. Because this program is so old, dealers are becoming less & less aware of it. Don't give up though. The program provides 1 harness anchor only free of charge so if you want to add a second, you'll have to pay for that.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member

According to the LATCH manual, Ford's top tether anchor retrofit part number for 1989-1992 Mustang hatchback models is F13Z 54613D74-A. There are two 8mm weld nuts on the floor in the cargo area for retrofitting each of the Mustang's outboard/side positions in the back seat with a top tether anchor (since there's no actual center seating rear position in the Mustang, there is no center top tether anchor retrofit). To access the weld nuts, fold back carpet and remove sealant covering weld nuts. Ford Program R7C should cover retrofitting both top tether anchors free of charge as the program does not specify a limit of 1 free top tether anchor per retrofittable Ford vehicle.

My dealer was clueless also. We needed one installed in our 2000 Ford F-250 ext. cab. I had to call corporate & then they called my dealer & filled them in. The hard part was finding the part, but they were able to get their hands on one. Because this program is so old, dealers are becoming less & less aware of it. Don't give up though. The program provides 1 harness anchor only free of charge so if you want to add a second, you'll have to pay for that.

Thanks Aggiemom for chiming in about your experience. Ford corporate or the Ford dealership where you had the top tether anchor retrofitting done owes you money back if you were charged anything out of pocket because the Ford R7C Program does not specify a limit of only 1 free top tether anchor retrofit. :(

Mcrowder

I am looking to get a top tether put on a 98 ford F150 extended cab. Is this program still available? I can't get the pdf from the site since I'm new. Could someone email it to me so I can show a dealer if they tell me no.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, R7C is still in force in the US (not Canada.) Your part number is F85Z 15613D74-AA. You should not need a copy. Ask them to look up the bulletin and to contact corporate if they have questions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC