Program Code R7C (Ford tether retrofit)

freak007

I have a '97 Mercury Mountaineer that I need to get tethers installed, and in doing some research I have seen time and time again that the LATCH manual says
For 1989 and later models, Ford will pay their dealers to install tether anchors (Program R7C).

What I would REALLY like to get is a PDF of the mystical "Program Code R7C"... If that is not possible a PDF of the portion of the LATCH manual that has this information in it... Last but not least, I need the PN / install info for my vehicle...

I also found a post with this information
COMPLIMENTARY TETHER ANCHOR INSTALLATION - Program Code R7C

This complimentary installation program allows participating dealerships to install multiple supplied tether anchor kits at no charge to the customer. The installation offer applies to all 1989-2001 Model-Year Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury passenger cars and light trucks (2002 & newer come factory installed) that do not have at least one factory-installed tether anchor in a rear seating position (U.S. Federal regulations require that new vehicles produced after September 1, 2000 have factory-installed tether anchors, and that new forward-facing child Ford Motor Company Marketing, Sales and Service seats have tether straps).

CLAIMING GUIDELINES
Dealers will be reimbursed (via ACES II) as follows:

Parts reimbursement for the tether anchor kit(s) will be at the Dealer Price plus the applicable parts allowance for the given model year.
Labor reimbursement for installing anchor kits will be at the standard labor operation hours multiplied by the Dealer's approved warranty labor rate in effect on the date of installation.
The following should be included on the claim submitted to ACES II:

Program Code: R7C
Labor Operations:
995001A - 0.5 hr for one anchor
995001B - 0.8 for two anchors
995001C - 1.0 for three anchors
Causal Part Use Child Seat Belt Anchor Kit part number (70613D74 for customer-supplied hardware.)
No anchor hardware kit is available for a few older trucks (1989-1990 Bronco II and 1989-1991 Aerostar, Econoline, and Bronco I) that were designed to use the generic hardware now supplied with most forward facing child seats. For these vehicles, Ford will reimburse Dealers for installation of owner-supplied hardware provided with child seats or the Ford kit (if and when available). Instructions for installing the hardware are included in the Owner Guides and shop manuals for these vehicles.

Note: This program (R7C) does not apply to 2002 & newer vehicles.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The text you quoted appears to be the exact wording of the Ford Program R7C document. :thumbsup: Here's the Ford Program R7C document in Adobe Acrobat .pdf format: http://www.car-seat.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=19326&d=1357607813 The Ford section of the LATCH manual isn't available online as a .pdf, but I can look up and post the part numbers for your car from my hard copy of the LATCH manual in a moment...

Last edited:

Jeanum

Staff member
According to the LATCH manual, the '97 Mercury Mountaineer can have up to 3 tether anchors retrofitted for the second row. The part number is F17Z78613D74-A and there are 3 drill dimples in the floor. The LATCH manual also notes the Mountaineer's "Tether Strap Anchor Kit" consists of an 8mm bolt, plate, weld nut bracket, and tube of thread lock. The LATCH manual also says "N/A" for the third row, which I'm interpreting to mean you don't have a third row in your Mountaineer. :)

christineka

I have the pdf file. Give me your email and I'll send it to you. Or you can call Ford and they can send it to you, but you'll have to go through a few people to get to the right one. (That's how I got it.)

Jeanum

Staff member
The GM service bulletin is included in the hard copy of the LATCH manual but I don't have access to a .pdf or electronic version of the GM bulletin. I only have the .pdf of the Ford Program R7C one, which matches the text the OP already quoted.

Last edited:

freak007

The text you quoted appears to be the exact wording of the Ford Program R7C document. :thumbsup: If you still want a .pdf copy of the Program R7C document, PM me your e-mail address and I can e-mail it to you. The Ford section of the LATCH manual isn't available online as a .pdf, but I can look up and post the part numbers for your car from my hard copy of the LATCH manual in a moment...

PM sent... I need to show the F0rd techs that I am not crazy...

U

Unregistered

I just talked to a guy at a ford service center and he told me it was no longer free to install the tether anchors, as of July 14th 2008!!! Is this true???

Jeanum

Staff member
Not that I know of. I recommend trying another Ford dealership or contacting Ford corporate. :twocents:

Pixels

Since you have documentation that it IS free, I say it's on him to show you that it's not. Ask him to show you documentation from Ford corporate that it's not free.

April

I just talked to a guy at a ford service center and he told me it was no longer free to install the tether anchors, as of July 14th 2008!!! Is this true???

I posted about retrofitting TA's in an 89 Mustang the other day. I passed the info to my friend with the Mustang, and she was told exactly the same thing as the OP quoted above. I would love someone to get me the PDF to try to convince them.

I particularily think its stupid since in Canada, tethering is a legal requirement for all ff harnessed seats, and in the 89 Mustang there are no l/s belts in the back seat, so by not installing the TA's, it eliminates the ability to place any ff harnessed seat OR booster in that vehicle. STUPID, imo.

valleyfam

I tried in 2007 to get TA for our 97 Mercury Grand Marquis. I could not get the Ford Dealership here to do it back then.:( Would love to hear if anyone has success.

C

Cormierm

I have the pdf file. Give me your email and I'll send it to you. Or you can call Ford and they can send it to you, but you'll have to go through a few people to get to the right one. (That's how I got it.)

I know this is an old post but if you had the PDF i would really appreciate you sending it to me.

Thanks.

Jeanum

Staff member
Welcome. :) The full text of the Ford top tether anchor retrofit program R7C .pdf file is already posted earlier at the top post in this thread and the .pdf file attachment is at http://www.car-seat.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=19326&d=1357607813 If you post back with the model year and model name of your Ford branded vehicle, we can help you further by looking up Ford tether anchor part numbers in the LATCH manual if they're available for your car.

Last edited:
G

giasdaddy2010

Hey guys, I am new to this site and just wanted to relay some current info that was sent to me from Ford & a PDF of the Ford R7C program. This is the email I received this morning (1/18/12) from ford regarding the R7C program.

Anthony, the program is still active where parts are available. Due to low demand and the age of vehicles that would require the installation of the top tether anchor, parts are no longer being produced. Even when the program was much more active, it wasn’t atypical for dealers to be unaware of it. I have attached a description of the program for you to provide them so that they understand how to get themselves reimbursed from Ford Motor Company, if they are able to get parts. There is no charge to you. If are unable to find a dealer with parts, I recommend you contact Dorel (Safety 1st) at 1-800-544-1108. Monday-Thursday 8am-6pm or Friday 8am to 4:30pm or go to

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=2970289&prodFindSrc=search&foreSeeEnabled=true

to obtain a generic tether anchor kit, for less than $10.

Kelley Adams-Campos

FORD Automotive Safety Office

Subject Matter Expert F/CMVSS 108 and Consumer Information

NHTSA Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician

View attachment COMPLIMENTARY TETHER ANCHOR INSTALLATION.pdf

*****Update******

I had Lakeland Ford install 2 anchors Today (1/20/2012) at no cost to me. The only thing they asked was for a copy of the R7C pdf. so they could get paid.

Last edited:
M

MendyLu82

I would like to have a copy of that .pdf. My bf's 96 Ford F150 does not have LATCH or tethers of any kind. This would be wonderful to have installed. Unfortunatly when I click that link, it says Im not authorized to access it. Can someone send it to me?

Jeanum

Staff member
Hi MendyLu82 and welcome to car-seat.org. Posts by newly registered members are moderated prior to the newly registered account's approval by Admin, and access to posted file links is also restricted until a newly registered account is approved. Now that your account has been approved by Admin, which has happened in the meantime since you posted, you should be able to access the linked/attached .pdf file noted above regarding Ford top tether anchor retrofit program R7C. Here's another link to take you more directly to the .pdf file: http://www.car-seat.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=19326&d=1357607813
Please also note that Ford program R7C is for retrofitting top tether anchors (meant to be used with a forward facing harnessed carseat installation to reduce head excursion) in pre-factory equipped, retrofittable Ford models, but not lower LATCH anchors which cannot be retrofitted.

sniperbull

Hi MendyLu82 and welcome to car-seat.org. Posts by newly registered members are moderated prior to the newly registered account's approval by Admin, and access to posted file links is also restricted until a newly registered account is approved. Now that your account has been approved by Admin, which has happened in the meantime since you posted, you should be able to access the linked/attached .pdf file noted above regarding Ford top tether anchor retrofit program R7C. Here's another link to take you more directly to the .pdf file: http://www.car-seat.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=19326&d=1357607813
Please also note that Ford program R7C is for retrofitting top tether anchors (meant to be used with a forward facing harnessed carseat installation to reduce head excursion) in pre-factory equipped, retrofittable Ford models, but not lower LATCH anchors which cannot be retrofitted.

Well i guess im in the same boat as Mendy... I just stumbled upon the website looking for that pdf and cant access it. I have no problem waiting, seeing as my daughter is still in a rear facing seat and will be for quite a bit, but would like to have a hard copy of the PDF for when i go to the Stealership.

By the way my vehicle is a 96 Ford Bronco XLT with the 351W engine. If possible also id like the part numbers for all three mounting points if they still make them.

Ill take a look and see if theres an introduction section as well.

thanks Guys:dance:

Jeanum

Staff member
Hi and welcome. :)

The 2013 edition of the LATCH manual (the most current LATCH manual edition, it's published every other year) lists the '92-96 Bronco models as retrofittable with top tether anchors for each second row seating position. The second row outboard positions (passenger side and driver's side) have drill dimples on the floor in the cargo area, and the Ford top tether anchor retrofit part number is F2TZ 98613D74-A. Although the second row center seating position is listed in the LATCH manual as having a retrofittable top tether anchor point, the LATCH manual unfortunately doesn't specify where that anchor point is. :eek: There's no mention of a drill dimple on the cargo floor or elsewhere in the vehicle for the center like the LATCH manual notes for the second row outboard positions, but your owner's manual and/or Ford dealership could possibly provide you with more details regarding the center.

sniperbull

Hi and welcome. :)

The 2013 edition of the LATCH manual (the most current LATCH manual edition, it's published every other year) lists the '92-96 Bronco models as retrofittable with top tether anchors for each second row seating position. The second row outboard positions (passenger side and driver's side) have drill dimples on the floor in the cargo area, and the Ford top tether anchor retrofit part number is F2TZ 98613D74-A. Although the second row center seating position is listed in the LATCH manual as having a retrofittable top tether anchor point, the LATCH manual unfortunately doesn't specify where that anchor point is. :eek: There's no mention of a drill dimple on the cargo floor or elsewhere in the vehicle for the center like the LATCH manual notes for the second row outboard positions, but your owner's manual and/or Ford dealership could possibly provide you with more details regarding the center.

Thank you again jeanum, and I do have a friend who had all three installed so worst case ill ask him where they did it.

I will be calling the stealership next and I appreciate the help.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC