Response Re: Insurance Companies

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Every time someone asks about getting an insurance company to replace car seats, someone (no one in particular!) always suggests demanding that the insurance company send a letter guaranteeing that the crashed seats are safe and taking responsibility for any future injuries that might arise from their use.

I understand that people might try this as a bargaining tactic, but I don't really see the overall point. Can't the insurance company just refuse to send the letter? And even if they do, how does that really help the parents if they truly feel their seats aren't safe anymore?

Just wondering if someone has more insight on this that I'm not understanding.

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
No insurance company is going to take on that kind of liability. Hopefully they'll realize how important this is and replace the seat without further question.

Only request the letter as a last resort though. Try showing them the manual, get a letter from the manufacturer first.

Susan

bubbaray

The adjuster needs to close the claim and they want to do so without involving your lawyers or their own.... They don't have the authority to write/sign waiver/indemnity letters, so its just easier to pay for the seats.

I know a few people who have used this specific tactic with success.

:twocents:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Thanks for asking -- I was wondering myself. If I was an insurance adjuster and someone asked me for such a letter, my response would be "No, because I'm not saying your seats are safe to reuse, that's for you to decide. I'm saying that they don't meet our criteria for replacement".

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Ya, I would look for other methods and not use that one. I'm not big on the threat style approach. Kind of like when people say "I'll have my attorney call you" as a scare tactic but don't even have an attorney.

Others can do as they wish, it's just not my style.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC