Is this legal-what I saw at school pickup?

mum2two

Sorry so long....

Picking up DD at K today (school is K-5)....this older model Suburban always seems to be in front of me....once the big buses leave the bus lane we can pick up in the bus lane...the driver, most likely a daycare provider pulls in...a smaller school bus from another school pulls in and the driver takes a child from the bus into her vehicle...alright...that's ok...although she puts him in backless and I can tell he's not more than 4 or 5....then she pulls forward a little more to pick up another child about a 2nd or 3rd grader, he always sits in the front seat (from the views I've gotten of the vehicle it is not completely full of kids at this point)...today I notice she also has an infant carrier installed in the middle position in the front seat (I know this as I saw the handle up)....is it ever safe to have an infant carrier in that position-I'm assuming it's a bench seat...I know the child is too young for the front seat..the oldest any kid at our school is 11...and this is not a 5th grader....if I need to report she has vanity plates so it's easy to remember...and I know the police officer who does sit at the school watching for speeders and illegal turns....would a call to him be advised or is she doing everything within IL laws????

Thanks for any input.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm not very familiar with Illinois law, but it's possible that most of that is legal.

Most states don't have specific ages on when kids can go INTO a booster--just when they can get OUT of them. So a 4/5-year-old in a booster is probably perfectly legal.

It might also be legal to have a young child in the front seat. In California, kids have to be 6 unless there's no back seat, or all the back positions are filled with other kids. Not sure about Illinois.

If there's an active airbag up front, the infant carrier is illegal. It might also be illegal if there are back seat positions available, but again, that would depend on state law.

That said, none of the practices you saw today are good ones, regardless of the law!

Sorry, I know I'm not much help since I don't know IL law. Hopefully someone else will come along. If any of that IS illegal (the infant seat likely is), then yes, it's definitely worth a heads-up to an officer.

mum2two

I will be seeing the police officer soon and will talk with him about it...have tried to look up IL laws but it's kind of confusing...it just seems so wrong..esp as I found out the lady is a daycare provider and I just think she is cramming all the kids in the vehicle with no regard for safety....even without airbags I still think it's unsafe for a little one in the front seat and an infant carrier in the front/middle too just seems like a bad idea....:thumbsdown:but maybe I'm wrong.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC