Safeseat Questions...LOTS!

*jen*

I'm pregnant with baby #2 and due in 5 weeks. We were in a car accident(NOT my fault) when DD was little, so we of course threw her Graco snugride out. So, now I need to get a new one. I was going to get a snugride again, but saw the Safeseats and thought they looked even better! They also have the Ionic for $104 and free shipping right now which is a great deal! So here are my questions:

1) I have a snap and go stroller, will the safeseat work with that?
2) Anything bad that I should know about the safeseat??
3) I have a 2006 Honda CRV with window side airbags. My DD is in a Britax RA. I was planning on putting her on the outside and the safeseat in the center. Will both fit comfortably? Anyone know?

Thanks for your help. I want to jump on this deal quickly before it is gone if I should get this seat!

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
We had the Safeseat and loved it. It is bigger than the Snugride, but that's a good thing to me because it lasts a lot longer. DS just graduated from his at 12 months and probably had a few months left in it. It has the built-in lockoff, which makes for a REALLY easy installation. I would jump on it!

Ahzryn

It's a ridiculously easy install, go for it! I bet you'll love it compared to the snugride install.

Is dd ff or rf? If she ff, keep her in the middle and put the safeseat outboard. The rf baby is much more protected than she is. If dd is still rf, good for you! Go ahead and put her rf outboard, and baby rf center. Since both are rf, dd is the least vulnerable child due to her age.

calebsmommy1

I would definitely jump on it! Especially for that price-we have a SafeSeat1 for our ds (he's 15mos and just about out of it) and have loved every minute of him being in there. He is pretty average ht/wt wise so it has lasted so much longer than a snug ride would have. I love how deep it is (more room RF) and installation is a breeze with the lockoffs. We also have the Graco stroller frame (snap 'n go I think), used it when ds was younger, and the seat fit perfectly in it . As long as your snap 'n go is a Graco, it should work just fine with the SS1. Good luck on the decision!

*jen*

Thanks for all the info. I just assumed the older child should be in the outer spot, so I'm glad for the info. My DD is FF, so I should keep her in the middle. What about the window airbags? I think they are called "curtain". Do I need to somehow turn them off if my son is in the infant carrier in the outward position? Would he get smothered by them somehow??

BeckC

You want the least protected child in the most protected spot. So if your DD is going to stay FF, you want her in the middle if you can get the two seats next to each other.

How old is your DD? If she fits in the Roundabout RF (under the weight limit and with an inch of shell over her head) I'd really consider turning her back around.

*jen*

Well I hope I can get them next to each other, otherwise I will have to go to the snugride instead of the safeseat as the CRV does not have 2 seats. I'm going to test it out tonight. Wish me luck!

Thanks for the advice on the RF, but we have chosen to put her FF, though we did keep her RF much longer than the 1 year, 20 pd rule. She still has a bit of room in the RA, but I know we will have to move her up soon. I need to start researching that as well. We got my parents the Sunshine Radian for their car. We like it, but it is heavy and difficult to install, so I think we will have to see what ones we want for our cars when the time comes. I have been happy with Britax, so maybe we will just go up on that one. When do kids move to "boosters", not until 5 right?

*jen*

Ok, another question. I just found the Meteor style for $95! Why is this one so cheap. I thought I read that one of them was hot in the summer. Is this the one? We live in CA and it does get warm, so that might not be good for us. Let me know if anyone has that style. thanks!

featherhead

Age 5 is usually the minimum age suggested for booster use. Some kids are ready by then, but lots of kids just can't sit still properly in boosters. So, if your child fits in the harness of their seat, use it. When they outgrow, you can try a booster, or a seat with a harness that goes higher. The Radian is a great seat, and can be tricky to install, but I think once you've done it a few times it is pretty easy. It has a nice high harness, so it lasts most kids till age 6ish. You could also consider the Frontier or the Nautilus for your ff child. Both are ff seats that convert to boosters. Both are recommended around here alot:)

*jen*

I think the Frontier and Natuilius were wider than the Radian right? That is why we we went with the Sunshine when we bought my parents one. they have a VW Jetta and it isn't super wide in the back seat. I am worried that my CRV won't be able to handle a large seat and the Britax RA. I will definitely have to factor that in when figuring out what to buy. Baby #2 will go in the RA when he is ready and DD will still be in her pre-booster seat, so I will have 2 larger seats in my CRV. That might be tricky!

featherhead

Yeah, if you have a small backseat you might want to try the Radian. If you can get the Radian from your parents car and try it out, that might help you.

*jen*

yeah, they don't like the Radian, so maybe I'll take it from them(I rarely move my seat in and out whereas they do it alot plus my dad is getting up there in age and says it is heavy) and get them something that is easier for them to move in and out. That way the Radian will def. fit with the RA in my car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC