Need simple articles

Dawn

I am in need of simple articles about extended rear facing for my SIL and her husband. I have detailed articles but can't find anything with just basics. They are wonderful parents who honestly don't have a lot of time to research for themselves. They also know I am a carseat nut,lol and that I keep up the best I can. They have triplets who will turn one in June. They where born at 31 weeks and there adjusted birthday is beginning of August. I am trying to convince her to wait until atleast there adjusted age. She plans to talk to her pediatrician which is great but what if the pediatrician tells her it's ok to turn them around. One of the three is over 20 pounds but the other two are not. She is concerned about comfort but I told her safety was more important and that this is safer. I just want to give her things she can see. They have dial-up so sending them most links is too much for there system.

Thanks!

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
There's an MSN article "Toddlers Should Face the Rear Longer" (I think?) & you could mention that a broken neck is a LOT more uncomfortable than a broken leg :rolleyes: Also, many kids' feet get numb & back aches from dangling in mid air unsupported when FF -- would they like to sit on a table for 20+ minutes without being able to support themselves to see how they feel :confused: If you Google search for the La Leche League Mother-to-Mother forums you'll see a recent post of mine in the Refreshment Table section about the importance of RF that might be helpful....

skipspin

I have WORD documents of one or two articles about RFing. One is the MSN article that Papooses mentioned. If you send me a private message I will email it to you.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
what about going to www.cpsafety.org and printing that article and highlighting the key points. Also go to the AAP website, print off the policy and highlight where it says to stay RF until the max of the seat. If you highlight it...the key points will stand out.

There's also the phrase internal decapitation. That always makes chills run up and down my spine.

http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/bsafety/0,,9r5v,00.html
This article is a little dated in that it says to RF to at least one year...but it gives more info...here's my fav quote:

"very young children have immature and incompletely ossified bones that are soft and will deform and/or separate under tension, leaving the spinal cord as the last link between the head and the torso. Have you ever pulled an electric cord from the socket by the cord instead of the plug and broken the wires? Same problem.

This scenario is based on actual physiological measures. According to Huelke et. al. (1), "In autopsy specimens the elastic infantile vertebral bodies and ligaments allow for column elongation of up to two inches, but the spinal cord ruptures if stretched more than 1/4 inch." Real accident experience has also shown that a young child's skull can be literally ripped from its spine by the force of a crash. Yes, the body is being held in place, but the head is not. Is it a statistically rare event? Yes. If it's my child, does it matter that it's rare? "

Maybe translate it into more layman's terms if it would help her.

Susan

Dawn

Thank you!

I am going to have Dh download the crash test footage to show her since there are on dial up and can't see it otherwise. I just want her to realise that she is worried about them having been preemies in every other sense of the word but not in the carseats.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I also have a very brief Word document (which I'd have to get out of an old computer for you) that has quotes from an instructor who researched autopsy reports of RF vs. FF toddlers/preschoolers....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC