News 13 Booster Seats receive Poor ratings

ADS

bobbysgirl7103

Re: 13 Booster recieve poor rating! Did you see this???

I saw this too. I wish they would have put a list up so we could see which ones ranked where.

diaperjoys

I was really surprised to see the Compass seats on there - I thought they were usually a good pick!

mykidsmylife

I know that shocked me also..

The 3-in-1s however didnt shock me at all.

I am glad Johnathons booster was in the best section! LOL.

bobbysgirl7103

Thanks for the lists. :thumbsup: I wasn't shocked to see the 3-in-1's either. All of ours are on the best pick list except the HB Turbo boosters that we use as backup.

courtfrog2

It does say that the ones that didn't rate very high may not be that bad for all children. It just depends on the fit for the particular child.

I'm surprised the Jane Indy and the Start didn't rate higher. I have both and actually those fit all my kids way better than all the other ones. I guess I'm a little partial to ones that don't tip... I still like our Air Booster a lot though or our turbo boosters.

USmominOz

I actually like our compass, it fits dd over her lap better than her turbo.

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
Re: Boosters on the Today Show

The segment was done because the IIHS just released a report on booster fit (which was done in conjunction with UMTRI (University of Michigan)).

I'm not sure what you mean about decent. The FPSVB was one of the top performing boosters in the report. Personally, I think it's a bad choice for the segment because it was discontinued, not because it's a bad booster.

ErinGoBragh

Re: Boosters on the Today Show

I should have been more clear. The FPSVB and the Parkway are both discontinued. There is no mention of the Monterey at all, although the testing could have been done before the release.

I own 2 FPSVB. They do the job, but also have a very short back. I guess I was just looking for better info. Good fit plus length of usability would have been nice.

emandbri

This is close to what we have been saying, it is nice to see it in print! My only fear is that people reading this would by a backless booster since it doesn't say anything about a high back being safer at all.

The monterey isn't on there but I'm sure it would do well. I really like how my kids fit in it.

I do find it annoying that the segment recommends the fisher price safe voyage which has been discontinued for a while now and is ONLY for sale at albee baby and the monarch which is discontinued.

Lys

Senior Community Member
I just saw this on GMA.
Yeah for them advocating HWH!

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=5924597

THe IIHS doesn't recommend the following booster seats:

Compass B505, Compass B510, Cosco/Dorel Traveler, Evenflo Big Kid Confidence, Safety Angel Ride Ryte, Cosco/Dorel Alpha Omega, Cosco/Dorel (Eddie Bauer) Summit, Cosco Highback Booster, Dorel/Safety 1st (Eddie Bauer) Prospect, Evenflo Chase Comfort Touch, Evenflo Generations, Graco CarGo Zephyr, and Safety 1st/Dorel Intera.

Here's the IIHS article as well.
http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr100108.html

Last edited:

AJWolverine

I have a question about the Evenflo seat. DH left before I could check the seat in his truck, but I could swear it's an Evenflo "Big Kid." The Evenflo website only lists a model called "Big Kid." So is the "Big Kid Confidence" the article references a different booster like maybe an old, discontinued model? :confused:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I merged both these threads into the chat section so we can keep track of all the opinions :thumbsup:

emandbri

This is kind of scary what it says about using a booster with a lap belt, on page 4 of the PDF it says "if this is yiour only option, it's better to use a booster with a lap belt than no booster at all." It does go on to say that using a seat with a higher weight limit is a better choice. I've never heard of using a booster with a lap belt as an option.

I think they picked great seats to test. A lot of those that they don't recommend are the ones I see a lot of young children in. Most of those are the 3-in-1's and the cheapys from walmart. The only issue I have with the article (and maybe I missed it so correct me if I'm wrong) is that they have best bets and a lot are backless boosters but there is no explaination in the article of when a child should be moved from high back to backless. Leaving a pretty wide margin for error since backless are normally chaeper then highback.
However I think the article is a step in the right direction to make children better protected in the car.

AJWolverine

I checked out the pictures and Evenflow they evaluated as a not recommended is definitely not the one we have. Sounds like they evaluated several discontinued models. :doh:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC