Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: PLEASE, stay rear-facing past 12mos/20lbs

Hi, Grandpa here!

Thanks for asking about the letter to NHTSA. I did get a response, although it was quite broad, and didn't answer any of my specific questions. Not surprising..

They did say that earlier this year they conducted an "internal" review of the car seat policies, and concluded that they were in line. So, I wrote another letter ( Sept 2009) and asked if the review considered the results of new studies that support ERF up to 2 yrs old, and also support the fact that FF children are 5 times more likely to sustain serious injury. I referred to some specific studies (also posted on Joel's website) such as: http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/cgi/...tract/13/6/398 . we'll see......

I also have sent a petition @ weeks ago) to the Federal Trade Commision, asking them to initiate action to require warning labels affixed to FF car seats, warning of the increased chances of serious injury versus those in RF car seats. I've included Congresswoman Slaughter in all correspondence.

Eventually, this info will make it to the website. Right now, I'm just awaiting anwers.

By the way, Joel is scheduled for surgery tommorrow in Phil. Childrens Hospital to repair nerve damage in his right shoulder. Keep your fingers crossed...... will provide updates on his website.

Grandpa