Question Seat Rec? And flying rec's?

hartfa

Question one: My husband drives a 97 Jeep Cherokee. We currently have a Graco Safe Seat Step 1 in it. My son is now too long, and has exceeded the recommendations, so we need to get a new one for his car. My son is currently 18 months old and is just now 31.5 inches long, and weighs 23 pounds. Yes, he is a bit on the small side. I have a Britax Boulevard in my truck, and it is great, though goodness help us if we ever need to get it in or out! Which is unfortunatly often because my little man is very messy and very clever. I've just about decided even on the longer trips he can't have any snack or drink, but I'm not that mean. *g*

Anyway, the backseat of the Jeep spits in such a manner that even the car seat technition had trouble getting the base on the Safe Seat to sit right. It always wants to tilt to the passenger side and even with the noodles it would eventually do that, and we'd have to reset it. I have no problem keeping him rear facing. So what would you all recommend for this car?

Question two: a favorite from what I understand... I am flying with my son on the 11th, and coming back the 20th. I've printed off the regs I dug up from on here, I've called Southwest Airlines (if it makes any difference) and got verbal confirmation and printed off from their website, that there is nothing that prevents me installing my convertable seat in the rear-facing position, even if his feet touch. If anyone gives me flak, I am to ask to see where in their Red Book, or regs it states his feet can't touch, and if necessary, ask for a ground supervisor. We will be taking the Britax Blvd. with us, do I need to ask for a belt extender? Does anyone know? Is there anything else I need to know?

Off Topic but sort of related - Also, I know he is 18 months old, but this is a four hour flight. He is allergic to milk. I am considering claiming his soy milk as baby formula, since he is smallish, and taking it with me. Otherwise he'll be left with juice, soda, and water. Which- water is great, but not for four straight hours. Thoughts?

ADS

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Have you tried installing your BV in the Jeep using the RF lock-offs? I kind of wonder if a BV or MA (or other Britax convertible) would work well in there, since maybe using both RF lock-offs on the seat belt might prevent tipping. Plus, you could try to RF tether to offset the tip.

The belt extender is mainly needed for FF installs. When RF, though, the buckle of the plane's belt will be underneath DS' legs. Sometimes a belt extender will allow you to avoid that issue, but you don't HAVE to have one. Since it sounds like you're bringing the BV, remember that the Britax convertibles have holes in the covers so that you can install them RF without lifting the cover up to thread the belt through the RF belt path; you can install with the belt going over the cover.

If the soy milk is medically necessary, you should be able to take "reasonable" amounts of it (more than 3 oz) on the plane. I would recommend that you get a Dr's prescription or letter of medical necessity and claim it as a "medication".

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC