What should I do??

Brendan's Mom

Brendan will be 5 in January and we just started carpooling with my neighbor to preschool. I have an extra seat in my car that I use for her son, but she only has a nautilus and booster. She uses the nautilus for her son and has offered to put the booster in her car for my son.

Then question is would you feel comfortable putting him (my son) in a booster for carpooling? He weights 50lbs give or take a pound. I can always move the nautilus in and out of our car and install it in her car, but being 35 weeks pregnant it isn't my first choice, but I would rather him be safe. I am actually thinking about getting another seat just so I don't have to move the seats around....I need thoughts!!!

ADS

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
At 4.5 and 50 lbs, I would be fine with him in a booster for carpooling. This assumes he can sit properly. I would get yourself a booster or borrow your neighbors and take a few rides with him in it to see how he does. Teach him how he has to sit and if you can, lock the seatbelt at the retractor to remind him to sit properly. If he does well with you, I would let him ride in a booster for carpool. If he doesn't, I'd beg the neighbor friend to help you move the Nautilus around!

Brendan's Mom

We do have boosters in my basement that I bought before I learned the benefits of extended harnessing. I will put one in the car this afternoon and see how he does. He has never been in a booster before so it will be a new experience for him! I will give it a try. He is a tall boy so I need to see how much room he has in his nautilus and radian to see if it would even be worth buying an extra.

Thanks....

Brendan's Mom

I let him ride in the booster on the way home from school today and he sat like a statue. He knew it was a trial and if he moved around he would not be riding in a booster again until he can is a teenager.

I still am nervous! Should I be nervous or are the pregnancy hormones getting to me! Part of me says to let him go in the booster and another part says to move the nautilus just to be safe.

Please understand I am not normally this crazy, but I am having a nutty pregnancy day and am already panicking I am not ready for the baby! Thanks for listening!!

canadiangie

What boosters do you have?

What does that other mom have?

Not that all boosters aren't safe when used correctly, but we know that some tend to allow better seatbelt placement than others, etc.

So I'm just currious what booster will be used?

And FWIW, I too would be comfy with a 50lb 5y/o in a HBB booster for carpooling... providing he can continue the statue routine. ;)

Brendan's Mom

We both have graco turboboosters. I have spent a lot of time looking at and exploring carseats, but not boosters. What is the general thought on the turbobooster? Thanks

canadiangie

It's a good basic HBB booster.

Has a tall adjustable back, most/all models have eps foam in the head area, and they have open belt guides.

You need to make sure the lap and shoulder portions of the seatbelt are under both armrests during fastening.

Other than that, I think they're fine. :thumbsup:

sarsah

If it were my child, I would allow him to ride in a booster for carpooling. At 4.5 and 50lbs, unless he is overly squirmy in the car, he should do fine in a booster.

Sarah......

BW1426

From your siggy, it looks like you have a Regent, Radian and GN for him. Does he spend more time in the car for carpooling than in any of the three cars that those seats are in? My point is, I'd put him in a booster in the car he is in the least.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Of course you should be nervous!!!! He is your baby and you are not used to him being in a booster seat!!! I'd have the neighbor keep a close eye on him and make sure he continues to sit properly. I agree, also make sure the screws are in the turbos and make sure that your nieghor knows how to properly route the seat belt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC