My 7yo fits harnessed in a nautilus

hunypooh77

I couldnt believe it! I would love to put him back in a harness. There was at least an inch to the highest slot and the limit is 65lbs and he is 53lbs...would it be worth it??
I have a pic in my phone, will post if I can figure out how to get it out of my phone...

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If he fits in the seat and the seat fits in your car and it won't cause financial hardship, there's no reason NOT to get it -- but a good booster is also an appropriate choice for a 7-year-old/53-pound child who is physically and developmentally typical.

hunypooh77

He drives my nuts, he is in a turbobooster but every time I turn and look the stupid seat is leaning to the side or he is leaning over or something. I really want to find something that is not going to lean like that. Every once in a blue moon he rides in the 3rd row (explorer) and its really bad back there, the seat wont stay upright it just looks like it is going to tip over.
He rides in the outboard position too and I was hoping to find better SIP for him.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
When you tried him in it, was the seat installed, or sitting on the floor/ground? Kids often lose some room once seats are installed. (It's certainly not unheard of for a 7-year-old to fit in that seat, though.)

Ordinarily I probably wouldn't recommend putting a 7-year-old back in a harness, but if he doesn't sit well in the booster, it could work well for you.

NannyMom

I agree that if it fits well in your vehicle and price is not a problem, I'd go for it. But first make sure you try it installed in your vehicle. I thought A still fit in the TF with an inch to grow, but once installed, she was over the top slots (we were just playing, not planning on buying). But A is 8 and does fit in the Nautiuls installed for her brother.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I agree that you need to try it in your vehicle if you have not already. You could also think about a booster with LATCH. That would prevent the tipping issues.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
When you tried him in it, was the seat installed, or sitting on the floor/ground? Kids often lose some room once seats are installed.

I agree that you need to try it in your vehicle if you have not already.

I think that this is even more true than usual with the Nautilus. A lot of kids seem to be losing about a slot when the seat is installed in a vehicle compared to when it was tried out in a store (or wherever).

When I tried my DS in Monzogary's uninstalled Nautilus a few days before he turned 7, his shoulders were actually below the second from bottom (!) slots. When we purchased our own Nautilus a week later and installed it, his shoulders were about 1" below the second from top slots. So he lost a slot. (I know he didn't grow that much in a week. :p)

As to whether to buy the seat for your son (if he fits in it), if you have the money and realize that he's not going to last terribly long with the harness, I don't see any reason not to buy it. My DS loves his Nautilus and actually prefers it to his boosters and even his Regent.

He drives my nuts, he is in a turbobooster but every time I turn and look the stupid seat is leaning to the side or he is leaning over or something.

Have you tried locking the seat belt when he sits in the booster? You should be able to do this in your Ford by slowly pulling the seat belt all the way out, then buckling it. I often recommend this for the newly boostered or for extra-wiggly kids as a way to help train them to sit still.

abacus2

I agree that you need to try it in your vehicle if you have not already. You could also think about a booster with LATCH. That would prevent the tipping issues.

I agree that you should try it in your car first. Assuming he does have some harnessed room and the price is not a problem, get a Nautilus. It is LATCHable as a booster and when I tried the fit of the Nautilus as a booster today, I like the belt fit better than my Parkway and my Vivo. I am very impressed with this seat!

VirginiaDavis

I just reharnessed my almost 7 yr old :) Same reasons as what you said your DS does. She did that..all the time. She was always moving, she was taking the belt and putting it behind her.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC