7th baby on the way...now what??

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Incidentally, like most any aftermarket automobile product, there are no federal safety standards that apply specifically to add-on vehicle seats. That means there is no regulation or independent testing of these products whatosever. Manufacturers can and do claim they test to the same criteria as the federal standards require of seats installed by vehicle manufacturers, of course. It's possible they are very safe or not so safe, it all depends how much you trust the aftermarket company. As you said, there is also the issue of installing such a seat where it was not intended by the vehicle manufacturer.

For the previous poster, another example is the rear-facing seats provided by Ford and Volvo in some of their wagons. These seats are safe for occupants within the height and weight ranges listed in the manual. They are not suitable to install any child restraints. Whether or not there is a safety concern is unknown, simply because the child restraints aren't designed or tested for installation on side or rear-facing vehicle seats.

ADS

Lilsid

Wow what a dilemma. At first I thought I would if I were you go with the front seat and have both airbags turned off, and put the new baby RF up there with you. But for years down the road I think I would put in the backbench seat with the 3-point seat belts and the head rests. I would put the two oldest in the back in just seat belts and give your pre teen a walk man to keep her occupied and quiet. You only have a few more years and she can drive her self and maybe help out more.

I know its not as safe as getting a new Van with 12-15 seats but if its all you can do then its better then some of the things I have seen here in phoenix with 10 people including kids shoved into a pick up truck cab.

My aunt has a 15 passenger van in MT with 4wd and it only has bench seats with out head rests and I dont think that is very safe, or comfortable.

Good luck and I wish you a happy new baby.

skipspin

I know that the Chevy trucks/SUVs with the console/middle seat in the front are lep-belt only, can't have a car seat installed and the driver's airbag also deploys there- so it's not really safe for anyone. I don't see how they can even have it there. We have used our once or twice for emergency/unexpected situations, but never put kids there.

Personally I think the drive two cars and rent a van for vacations sounds like the safest, least expensive option.

Or you could put the 13 yr old on the roof....just kidding. We give our teenage neighbor girls rides to church and that's what we threaten if they get attitudes.

urmysunshinex3

Senior Community Member
The Excursion did come in a model that had a 3 passenger bench in front. I know the chances of you being able to locate just the bench seat are slim, but if you were able to find one it would be fairly simple to replace the buckets with the bench. I would then get both air bags turned off and put car seat in the middle lap-only position. If you know anyone at your local Ford dealer I would give them a call. A bench seat may still be available for the Excursion?

Lynette~Mom to My Three Sunshine's and CPST

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I believe you have to petition NHTSA to have the driver airbag turned off & then might need to get the manufacturer to get the dealership to make the change....

U

Unregistered

True and this would also be the case for turning off the passenger airbag except for vehicles already equipped with a switch to turn off the passenger side airbag like in some newer pickup trucks. I've heard of cases where dealers are very reluctant to turn off the front airbag even when NHTSA has granted the okay because the dealership was still worried about CYA and liability issues.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC