I need an idiot proof car seat for my mother

TheQueenMother

My mother can not install car seats correctly for anything. A few days ago I installed my MA and let her buckle the baby. When I picked him up, the straps were so loose he was leaning forward to get a toy by the end of his toes. I typically install myself but it would be great if I could get a car seat that she could be trusted to install properly. What would you recommend?
Thanks
Amanda

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Are you having problems with her actually installing the seat? If so, the new Evenflo Symphony might be of interest to you (if she has LATCH). It has a new "SureLATCH" feature that supposedly makes it very easy to install.

If your concern is her tightening the harness, you might check out the Boulevard CS. It has a new mechanism for letting caregivers know when the seat is tightened enough - it "clicks" when it's tight enough.

I don't know of any seats that are especially easy to install AND tighten. Maybe others will have more ideas. :thumbsup:

BW1426

If he's FF the Safeguard would be pretty fool proof. It has retractable LATCH anchors that automatically retract when you press the seat in. It also has a button that tightens the harness.

ETA: The Safeguard is pricey. Both the Safeguard and Boulevard CS are going to set you back more than $300.

jewlsvern

What about an EFTA? If it installs right in your car (RF because of the knobs) the knobs make it easy for grandmothers to use. It is just an easy turn and with the harness adjusting each time she could get it tight. My mom can easily use this seat.
It also runs between $120-$190 so easier on the pocketbook.

Tyler'sMom1117

Is it that she has a hard time tightening the harness or does she think that when it is tight, it is hurting her? I ask this, because I have had older relatives think that I am strapping my kids in too tight. They don't understand that it needs to be snug. I actually had an Aunt of mine say, oh that can't be comfortable to my son when he was little. I piped in with, "It is very comfortable for him and he doesn't know any different because he has always had a correctly fitted harness".

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The problem with the Boulevard CS and SafeGuard are that the adjustment mechanism isn't fool-proof.

From looking at the demo video of the CS, the "click" might happen when the straps are ALMOST tight, then you need to adjust and tighten again. (Sort of like when it starts ratcheting with a regular BV.)

With the SafeGuard, the adjuster button takes out the bulk of the slack, but you still need to turn the knobs to get it tight. Relying on the button alone will result in a terribly non-secured child.

But although they're not fool-proof, they're good choices. If your child is FF, the Nautilus would also be a good choice, just because the harness adjuster is so smooth and easy, and because it'll last a long time.

The EFTA (as mentioned by a PP) is also a good choice, especially if your child is RF. (It's good for FF, too, but a couple of the others mentioned are FF-only seats.)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Well..not to sound harsh, but I think your title says it all.
I personally, would not be comfortable with an "idiot" driving my child around.
It's just too important.
I love my dh. He is kind, loyal, honest, a good provider, a great father and husband, and just generally an all-around swell person.
And not in a million years does he get to install carseats for our kids.

for some reason, some people just don't "get" it?

He is SO much stronger than I am. He understand physics, geometry, and theings like leverage.
and yet...not for anything can he get a seat in tightly.
I'm a wimpy, no-muscle little girl, and i can get the seats in rock solid and he can't.
I have no rational explanation for this.

Is it reasonable for you to install the seat every time?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC