I laughed in my Pedi's face today...

LuvMyCharlie

...when she said, "The jury is still out on the benefits of extended rear-facing." :eek:

I literally laughed in her face and told her I hope she didn't tell all of her patients that. :( I explained to her the reasons that we are practicing extended rear-facing, and asked her to PLEASE do a little research as well as check with the current AAP recommendations. She seemed open to the idea but a bit skeptical at the same time. I can't even remember how the topic came up, but when it did she said, "OH NO! He should have been forward facing three months ago!

Sorry, Doc. This is one area I don't trust your "expertise" on. :rolleyes:

ADS

BW1426

I'm fine with doctors not being experts on CPS, but I am not okay with doctors giving bad advice.

"The jury is still out" Psshhh.

Hopefully she's motivated to do some research.

Mommy2Marcus

WOW the jury is still out? WTH? They have already held the trial AND ERF won hands down! I would have also laughed in her face! My ped told me straight up she was not an expert, so reccomended to follow manufactors instructions & would not budge from that! She also NOW reccomends ERF!

I also agree with Brie that I am okay with the ped not being an expert, but not with them giving out bad advice & saying that a child SHOULD be FF when they still fit RF! I also agree that I hope she does some more research & discovers what we all already know!

Mommy2Five

I would have too. I actually changed Peds after having ours roll her eyes at me for J still being RF (When she had just told me he NEEDED a booster now that he was 4)... I really miss our Ped that moved :(. She was wonderful..

cowgirlsmommy

"The jury is still out"!?!? Since when?! Last I read, ERF won every time! Geez. I really hate hearing about ped's that give this kind of info. Just one more reason I love our ped.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
"Once your child is at least 1 year of age and weighs at least 20 pounds, she can ride forward-facing. However, it is best for her to ride rear-facing to the highest weight or height allowed by the manufacturer of her car safety seat"

http://www.aap.org/family/Carseatguide.htm

Hmmm... HER jury may still be out, but the AAP has been pretty clear RF to the limits of the seat is best for at least 5 years now :whistle:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
You might want to share this with her. It's from the AAP's journal earlier this year and goes into great detail about the benefits of RF. And it's titled, "Rear Facing Car Safety Seats: Getting the Message Right." Sounds like your ped could use it. (As could most of ours :rolleyes:)

View attachment 2877

Last edited:

Andie

You might want to share this with her. It's from the AAP's journal earlier this year and goes into great detail about the benefits of RF. And it's titled, "Rear Facing Car Safety Seats: Getting the Message Right." Sounds like your ped could use it. (As could most of ours :rolleyes:)

View attachment 2877

I'm taking this to our health department! Someone was told there that they could FF their 6 month old because he was over 20 lbs!! Thanks!

OP-I really hate when doctors spread misinformation, or do not inform themselves on this issue. Aren't they supposed to keep up with the AAP?

I asked my pedi how he feels on ERF, he said "I don't mind it" ???! I asked if he recommends it, and he avoided the question. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC