Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Another booster question

Do any high back boosters need support from the car seat itself behind it. Only the Apex I can think of. Any others? (specifically the fisher price booster)

Sorry...I am being bombarded with booster questions. I really need to brush up on that stuff. They didn't address it much at all at class!

E 8y 43 lbs 58" Harmony NBB
    S 7y 52 lbs 54" Harmony NBB
    J-4y 38 lbs Graco Headwise 70 Britax Roundabout 50

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Another booster question

I think the cosco boosters need back support.

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

It depends on the booster manufacturer. Dorel requires that you have support from the vehicle seatback or head rest at least as high as the child's eye level/tops of ears. They make the Cosco, Safety 1st and Eddie Bauer brand seats. Although, I don't think it applies to most of the 3 in 1s or combos other than the Apex.

As for other manufacturers, it wouldn't hurt to raise the headrest as long as it isn't pushing the booster forward, but it isn't necessary to do so.

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Yes, all the Dorel HBBs I know of require head support (Protek, Pronto, EB Auto booster).
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Thanks so much for bearing with me!

CPS Technician

Even though I didn't answer--we'd rather you ask.

Susan
    Mommy to my angel, Ethan Daniel (8/5/07-8/6/07)
    Mommy to Nicholas (12-29-08) RF'ed to 2.75 yrs in Graco MyRide(crashed) and a True Fit Primier. FF in the TFP and a Graco Nautilus Elite. Nicholas is 2.75 yrs old, 32 lbs and 36" tall.
    Child Passenger Safety Tech

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMae View Post
    Even though I didn't answer--we'd rather you ask.

Susan
    Honestly, I can't remember them even going OVER boosters in my class. Just when they can legally ride in them. That's it.

Now all these moms on my mom board are getting ready for the seat check I'm running and are asking all these booster questions!

I feel dumb I don't know the answer. Time to brush up on the booster skills!

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scatterbunny View Post
    Yes, all the Dorel HBBs I know of require head support (Protek, Pronto, EB Auto booster).
    Note:

Older model Proteks did not require seat back support. RTM

(CarSeatSafetyMom has one from 05 that did not, not sure of the date of the change)
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

Has Dorel verified this? Are we sure it's not a case of them just forgetting to include it in the manual (like how they accidentally included booster instructions for the Touriva, or how some models that have the bar harness height adjuster don't make it clear that the top position cannot be used in harness mode)? I haven't noticed a difference in the structure of older and newer model Proteks, so just curious how an older model wouldn't need support and a newer model does.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

wow, I didn't know this! I guess it isn't that big of a deal, I mean most of thier boosters are so short it wouldn't be an issue.

Emily tech and mom to Jacob 16, Daniel 13, Benjamin 9, Elizabeth 6. Child care provider to 4 other kiddos.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Even the Maxi Cosi Rodi requires head support (it's a Dorel). I wouldn't trust an older Protek to do anything to protect against whiplash, whether it was in the manual or not, those things are SO flimsy
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

My friend Andrea (AndieW here on the boards) has an older Protek, she's sitting here with me and her seat and manual are at home, but she swears hers says it must be used with a headrest/high seatback. She'll check the manual when she gets home.
    ~Jenny

Quote Originally Posted by emandbri View Post
    wow, I didn't know this! I guess it isn't that big of a deal, I mean most of thier boosters are so short it wouldn't be an issue.
    Actually, they have one that is really tall, like a girafee neck, I swear.