I am just kicking myself!

Nisha

Why oh why didn't I think of this last week?

I was helping with a big car seat check last Saturday. One of the families I helped (tried to help :() had a little girl, 3 1/2 who weighed about 32 lbs and was about 40" tall, in an AO of some sort. They had just taken the harness off the day before because they realized her shoulders were over the harness on the top usable slot. So they had her in it as a booster. I had never worked with an AO (even though I've heard plenty about them) so I was reading all the labels trying to figure out what to do with her, because the l/s belt fit her terribly, it didn't go on her shoulder and it sat so there was a 1-2" gap between her chest and the seat belt!
When reading the labels, I discovered that she was not heavy OR tall enough to use the seat as a booster. I talked to the parents, we looked at the harness slots, I talked to them about getting an express there at the check, but they really didn't want to get one because if they were going to buy a new seat, they wanted a nicer one (don't really blame them there).
The reason I'm kicking myself is when I was telling my sister about this yesterday, it hit me that the little girl COULD have sat RF in that seat!!!! :doh: I usually don't preach ERF to parents unless their children are 2 or younger, or exceptionally small, because I don't practice it with my 3 1/2 year old, I don't feel like I can preach what I don't practice. So, I didn't even think about it :(
Instead they left the check with her in the seat as a booster, the way they came, and since the Dad said they have a nbb at home that has a 30lb min on it, I'm sure they took her home and put her in that instead! :( I told them about the benefits of EH and how much better off she would be even in a GOOD HBB, but I don't know if it did any good.
They didn't have the harness with them so we couldn't have put her in RF at the check, but I could have at least told them about it!

ADS

ElaynesMom

Don't beat yourself up about it. In all honesty, if they didn't want a new seat provided at the seat check to reharness her, I doubt they would have put her back rf. Just do your best next time :)

eta: not that you didn't do your best this time, but you know what I mean.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Don't beat yourself up about it. In all honesty, if they didn't want a new seat provided at the seat check to reharness her, I doubt they would have put her back rf. Just do your best next time :)

That was my immediate thought, too. No way would they have RF their 3.5YO. :eek:

Nisha

I kind of doubt it too, but if I told that was their only "legal" option (NE proper use clause), they might have at least done it to please me!

The Mom was pretty sold on buying their own new seat, a Nautilus or Fronteer (she's a britax fan) but the Dad thought it was stupid to spend $$ on a new seat when they had a perfectly good nbb at home :(

ElaynesMom

While they may have done it just to leave the clinic, chances are they'd stop having her rf the rest of the time. Hopefully the mom will look into getting a larger harnessed seat, she may convince her Dh, you never know. Unfortunately, not everyone you tell about best practice is going to listen :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC