nervous about side impact

zeo2ski

Well I decided to buy the radian 80 for my 2 year old to RF longer (his MA is the 33 lbs, and he's tall). I had been debating between the RN, TF, and Signo. I was pretty sure I'd have trouble installing the RN in my pre-latch suburban, but I was able to get it in great, so I decided to keep it. The main attraction of it for me is the narrowness. I want to be able to get 3 across my 3rd row.

Now I'm starting to have second thoughts about the side impact safety. The car has no side impact protection. He's currently RFing, but it's only a matter of time before he's too big. He's in the center of the 3rd row by himself, but when I add another seat or two back there, I'm worried about hitting the adjacent seat (the Advocate would be great, but it may not fit the needs of the other children) and just plain force on his neck from his big head flying out.

I'd rather wait and get the XT to get headwings and still be able to get 3 across. But...what do I do in the meantime? Any suggestions are welcome, I didn't realize the enhanced side impact was so important to me and now it's like square one. So here's the situation:

DS 1 is 30-31.5 lbs (depending on the day and scale) in summer clothes. He has 2-3 inches of shell left on the MA (so 1-2" torso/head growth to RF). I started looking for a seat for him in order to plan ahead for when he does actually need one, which could be in 3 months or a year and a half, who knows! The height was my concern, but now weight is getting up there too. he has a 33 lb MA.

So he may be able to hold out for the XT, BUT, DS2 will have outgrown his infant seat before then and I had planned to move him up the the MA. Of course now I wish I had a BLVD instead for the TSIP. Ugh.

And by springtime we'll need to prepare for welcoming foster children who will be infants, but sizes still vary.

So to sum it up, we have:
MA
snugride

RN80 and a Truefit which can still be returned to the store.

Kids:
DS1 may outgrow MA by winter
DS2 will outgrow SR in the next 2 mos, 3 max.
unknown foster children beginning in the next 6-12 mos

Anyone want to suggest what they would do? I'm stressing about side impact. But also want to be cost effective (I don't want less expensive seats, I want to get the best use out of the seats). Thank you so much. My head is spinning around all this.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
There's more to SIP than big headwings... the protection primarily comes from the rigid seat shell and the 5 point harness keeping the body and head in place well. Top tethering is also probably very helpful (if you don't have top tethers for forward facing, most cars can have them added easily, usually we can help you out with part numbers, too). I'm as nervous as they come, and I've been happy using my Radian and Marathon in outboard seats...it's when kids are in boosters that I really get into SIP, since kids are no longer held in place as well by a full 5 pt harness, they really need the extra side support.
If it's super important to you, then by all means go for a seat with the SIP, but if you need to use the seats you have now, then they are VERY safe when installed and used properly, and I wouldn't sweat it for a second.

zeo2ski

Thanks. I understand all seats do have SIP, and we tether RFing and will have to get retrofitted for FFing tethers. From what another poster said though, the TAs for my suburban are only available for the second row because it uses the seat belt in the third row. That really limits the available seating positions.

We returned the radian and truefit today.
I think we will be buying 2 boulevards now and and then when DS1 is close to actually outgrowing it, we'll see what else is out then and pass his BLVD on to the next child. I really want a tether AND headwings...

MissAllyLou

I actually have a Radian AND a Boulevard, and I really don't feel that the child in the BLVD is any safer than the child in the RN. I honestly just love the wings on the BLVD for sleeping infants; I only use the seat for RFing! :twocents:

MissAllyLou

Thanks. I understand all seats do have SIP, and we tether RFing and will have to get retrofitted for FFing tethers. From what another poster said though, the TAs for my suburban are only available for the second row because it uses the seat belt in the third row. That really limits the available seating positions.

We returned the radian and truefit today.
I think we will be buying 2 boulevards now and and then when DS1 is close to actually outgrowing it, we'll see what else is out then and pass his BLVD on to the next child. I really want a tether AND headwings...

Just wanted to add that you can and should use a tether with a seat belt. LATCH anchors are only the lower anchors, the top tether is a completely different part of the seat. You should have 2 top tethers in your second row, and one in your third row, IIRC.

zeo2ski

Just wanted to add that you can and should use a tether with a seat belt. LATCH anchors are only the lower anchors, the top tether is a completely different part of the seat. You should have 2 top tethers in your second row, and one in your third row, IIRC.

Yes, we do use tethers RFing. My kids are not old enough to FF yet, but when they do I will have to get the top tether installed. I have a 1998 suburban which is pre-latch and therefore has no TAs. All CR installs are seat belts since there are no lower anchors either, and I will use top tethers in combination with the seat belt installs, but in the suburban, the top tether available (according to a poster on here) is just a loop that buckles into the reciever of the seat belt in the third row, behind where the CR is installed. So the middle row CR tethers to the third row seat belt. Only thing is that means you can't use that seat in the third row for anything.
Here's the post I saw it in:

http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=535715&postcount=6

MissAllyLou

Yes, we do use tethers RFing. My kids are not old enough to FF yet, but when they do I will have to get the top tether installed. I have a 1998 suburban which is pre-latch and therefore has no TAs. All CR installs are seat belts since there are no lower anchors either, and I will use top tethers in combination with the seat belt installs, but in the suburban, the top tether available (according to a poster on here) is just a loop that buckles into the reciever of the seat belt in the third row, behind where the CR is installed. So the middle row CR tethers to the third row seat belt. Only thing is that means you can't use that seat in the third row for anything.
Here's the post I saw it in:

http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=535715&postcount=6

Yes, you are correct, I mis-understood. We get a lot of people who come into checks that think they can't use tethers because they don't have or aren't using LATCH. I just assumed that's what you meant. But, you got correct information the first time :). Sorry to confuse you!

zeo2ski

Hey no problem, I have trouble making sure I put in all the details on here! Sorry if I wrote it wrong the first time.

Thanks for the input.

We went ahead and ordered two BLVDs for the boys and our MA will go to our friend.

BW1426

Be aware that you might not get Boulevards that RF to 35 lbs. Some of the seats in circulation only go to 33 lbs. Make sure you check it out. Also, the Boulevard is outgrown when there is less than an inch of shell over their head. It goes by the shell, NOT the head wings. That's often a point of confusion.

zeo2ski

Yup, thanks. I made sure to order ones that claim to go to 35, but I will certainly be double checking when they get here. And yeah I figured it would be based on the shell--I looked into that on the recaro signo, so I just assumed it would be the same for the BLVD, it makes sense!

So is it 2008 that the switch was made from 33 to 35? Or did that happen in June with the headwings? Of course the MAs, RAs, etc all got the weight switch too, so maybe not...anybody know? Just curious. I have a MA I bought in Feb with (iirc) a nov 07 DOM, but when I was shopping around for it, I know I was expecting a 33 lb limit.

BW1426

They went from 33 lbs to 35 lbs in March. The newer headwings are much, much nicer imo. Hopefully you get one with new headwings.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC