Booster question

fyrfightermomma

I admit to not knowing a huge amount about boosters but have been getting more and more booster questions lately from my mom board and friends.

So some questions:
You want a high back booster if you don't have side airbags right?
A no back is ok if you have side airbags?
Does anyone here even have a no back booster? I just don't see them talked about much

With three across (2 convertibles and a booster) where would you place the booster child and should that be a high back as well? (it's a 4 door Geo Prism)

Thanks!

ADS

crunchierthanthou

So some questions:
You want a high back booster if you don't have side airbags right?
A no back is ok if you have side airbags?
Does anyone here even have a no back booster? I just don't see them talked about much
I've not seen much discussion on high back vs no back in relation to side curtain airbags. However, you need to be sure to use a high back if the vehicle has low seatbacks and no headrests. The seatback needs to be at least as high as the child's eye level (about to the tops of the ears like a harnessed seat shell).

there's also this study that talks about the benefits of a HBB in side impact crashes.

basically, I'd prefer to only use a no back with a child who is too tall for the belt guide on a HBB and in a vehicle with adequate head support. That's not to say backless boosters are necessarily unsafe- and they do have a use in tight 3 across situations and are handy for carpools and such. It's just that high backs provide better protection in the most dangerous types of crashes. Also, if it's a situation where the child is currently only in the vehicle seatbelt and the parent isn't willing to spend more than the $15-$20 for a backless, I wouldn't push it.

With three across (2 convertibles and a booster) where would you place the booster child and should that be a high back as well? (it's a 4 door Geo Prism)

It depends on where they have lap/shoulder belts. I'm guessing if it's a Geo, it only has a lapbelt in the middle. If so, the Booster would have to be outboard. If they do happen to have a l/s in the middle I'd put the booster there, provided they can reach to buckle the seatbelt and the seats puzzle well. Do you know which convertibles it will be?

Last edited:

christineka

I'd also put the booster on the side with only one buckle. That way the child can't accidentally unbuckle a car seat.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Both Sam and Fighter ride in backless boosters - Sam always does, Fighter has one for Dad's car. Fighter technically could still fit in his booster (Air) with the back on it, but it's a PITA to buckle, and I'm comfortable with him in a backless.

The other benefit of a HBB over backless is that they tend to position the shoulder belt better in some seating positions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC