Infant seat center instal in older Jetta?

cocurlgurl

We have a Graco Safe Seat Infant car seat and the primary base is installed in the rear center of my Nissan Sentra.

We have an extra base for use in my husband's car which is a 95 Jetta. In the back seat it has a middle section b/t the seats that you can fold down/forward to rest your arms on.

We were hoping to use the Jetta to drive 6+ hrs to VT this weekend for a week long vacation - and would prefer to install the seat base in the center of the back seat.

I installed our extra base in his car the weekend before last and found that it was really hard to get it tight enough to prevent the part of the seat base against the seat back from moving < 1in from side to side.

I found that the only way to get it tight enough it seemed to either :

1) be at a slight angle to one side b/c of the buckle area which caused the seat to lean to the side

or

2) that is was so tight against the back of the seat that the middle section was moving or coming forward a bit at the top.

Anyone have success with center installation in an older Jetta?

I am not able to take his car to the seat inspection placeas they have limited hours,......

Will we have to install the base on the reat passanger side?

Thanks!

ADS
if you mean that you were able to install so tight it did not move more then one inch side to side. and then the part towards the front of the seat lifted up when you pulled that is okay. the base will always lift there on all infant seats not able to be tethered rf. i'm not a tech but i would take a solid install outboard over an angled install center. infant seats are meant to rebound straight forward and protect the child if the seat is on an angle then it would put force on the childs neck different in a crash. possibly making the situation worse.

cocurlgurl

if you mean that you were able to install so tight it did not move more then one inch side to side. and then the part towards the front of the seat lifted up when you pulled that is okay. the base will always lift there on all infant seats not able to be tethered rf. i'm not a tech but i would take a solid install outboard over an angled install center. infant seats are meant to rebound straight forward and protect the child if the seat is on an angle then it would put force on the childs neck different in a crash. possibly making the situation worse.

Yep - that was what I meant. And when I do this the seat is either at an angle or the "fold down arm rest" pops a bit forward at the top.

i guess we will do rear passanger seat then.

That is the best location, correct?

lemurmommies

Yep - that was what I meant. And when I do this the seat is either at an angle or the "fold down arm rest" pops a bit forward at the top.

i guess we will do rear passanger seat then.

That is the best location, correct?

Did you take a look at your vehicle's manual? Some vehicles that have fold-down centre armrests do not allow for a rear-facing car seat to be installed in the centre. So I'd check the manual first.

If you choose to install outboard because you get a better install that way, the difference between outboard positions in terms of safety is pretty negligible, so whatever side works best for you is fine.

desiree_leigh

Did you take a look at your vehicle's manual? Some vehicles that have fold-down centre armrests do not allow for a rear-facing car seat to be installed in the centre. So I'd check the manual first.

I'm pretty sure that I looked into this with my 92 Passat and found out that all VWs do not have this restriction. AFAIK they all allow installs in the ctr position with the fold down armrests. Correct me if anyone knows differently though!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC