Rfing in Sweden and a small child

christineka

I am curious. I know seats in Sweden rf to 55 pounds and kids rf to age 4-5. What if a child is only 35 pounds at age 5. Do they rf to age 6 and 40 pounds or do they ff at age 5 at the latest?

According to the growth chart my dd should make it to 40 pounds at age 6.5. And 35 pounds around age 5.5. She's super short too with a short torso and a tiny head. (her head isn't even on the chart.) I've been wondering when to turn her ffing. Age 4, 5, or 5.5 if she makes it! I also wonder, what if we lived in Sweden... My 5, 7, and 8 year olds are all under 55 pounds too.

ADS
Just a thought...... but, if they fit and are happy to remain rf what is the harm?????
they can then ff or go straight to booster if pass 5 step test.
its the same theory as keeping a 3 or 4 year old rf in the usa if they still fit. most people don't, but whats the harm?:twocents:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
'Adventuredad' posts here a lot and has average sized kids, I think he put his 40ish pound 4 yo into a booster from the RF seat. I think the 55 pounds is just insurance for very stocky kiddos who need the extra weight limit. I also think they couldn't have kids so tall that they are above the seatback, so yeah, they'd HAVE to go to a booster when they are too tall (4-6, from what I understand).
Kids go straight from RF seat to boosters there, there aren't any (or many?) forward facing harnessed seats...most kids are fine in good highback boosters from age 5ish, so it's a pretty workable system, I guess.

NannyMom

My DD is small too, she's 10th percentile for weight. At her 2 year check up yesterday, I had a look at the chart. SHe won't get to 35 pounds until after she's 5. As long as she's not to tall (and I'll buy lots of True FIts if I have to), she'll RF until she's too heavy :) May by then we'll even have 40 pound RF seats :cool:

The 8 year old I watch wishes she could be RF. She weighs 53 pounds and wants to move to Sweeden :rolleyes: She's been in a booster probobly since she was 4 (possibly 5). She tells me daily she wants a harness seat and wants to RF.

barnmama25

The law there is under 3 years and 15 kg (33 pounds) must remain rear facing. Of course many will keep the child rf to the limits of the seat if they still fit after that time frame. But as they age they switch them to booster seats to acoomodate more children, or other lifestyles.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
The law there is under 3 years and 15 kg (33 pounds) must remain rear facing. Of course many will keep the child rf to the limits of the seat if they still fit after that time frame.

Really? Because I think Adventuredad has said there are no car seat laws in Sweden, everyone just does it. :confused: (I'm not specifically doubting one or the other of you two ... but you can't both be right. ;))

barnmama25

Really? Because I think Adventuredad has said there are no car seat laws in Sweden, everyone just does it. :confused: (I'm not specifically doubting one or the other of you two ... but you can't both be right. ;))

I believe so, I read it on a Swedish website in a FAQ section.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC