Would you get a TF in this case?

pastrygirl

The other thread with the TF vs MA photos really made me want to switch to a TF. So, either talk me down or enable me! :)

My 2-year-old is in a RF MA with the 33-pound RF limit. He's around 30 pounds dressed, sometimes 29 pounds. (Are home scales accurate enough?) He has about 2 inches above his head and is on the second slots. He has some RF time left in the MA, but he is starting to gain weight faster and eating nonstop lately! I suspect a growth spurt, because he's also sleeping a ton. He's already tall and is all torso.

The crash test videos that I saw last week at a CPST conference made me never, ever want to turn my son FF. I love the thought of getting an extra 2 pounds plus all that extra height and leg room. He's more squished in my car than he is in my husband's, even though they are both Marathons and look to be installed with the same recline angle. I like the idea of the deeper shell of the TF and also that the seat sits lower without the MA "pedestal."

I don't like that I won't be able to tether the TF RF.

So... should I get the TF now anyway, wait for the new TF with the anti-rebound bar, wait for my MA to be outgrown RF, or just stick with my MA and FF when he outgrows RF?

ADS

calebsmommy1

ooooh I want to know what people think too! We just bought a radian 65 but contemplating returning it for either a TF or MA.................Let me know what you finally decide and why :)

pastrygirl

I would get a TF, but I might be swayed to hold out for the one with ARB. I :love: the TF.
Should I be swayed? I'm so impatient! Will I regret it if I buy it now? I can get it for $160 shipped! But I won't be able to try it out first -- they don't have them at the closest BRU. I don't want to end up with a seat that I not only don't need, but that doesn't fit well in my car.

Oh, another factor that might tip the scales. I can't install my MA in the center because of the long buckle stalks. I'm really, really hoping that I'd be able install the TF in the center. But again, I can't try it out!

What's Target's return policy for car seats? Should I buy it from there and try it out, and return it if it doesn't work or return it so I can buy it for less? Oh wait, they discard returned seats, don't they...

scatterbunny

You could always switch the non-ARB TF into dh's car and get the ARB version for your car when it becomes available. ;) I'm such an enabler, aren't I? :p

Britax seats tend to work well with long buckle stalks because they're up so high on a base; can you not twist your stalks down? I haven't actually installed a TF yet, so I can't comment on that part of it. I only played with one at a store with my friend's baby and 6yo.

pastrygirl

You could always switch the non-ARB TF into dh's car and get the ARB version for your car when it becomes available. ;) I'm such an enabler, aren't I? :p
My husband would have a HEART ATTACK! He's only "approved" the purchase of one, and it's coming out of my "allowance" aka fun money. :) However, he is absolutely for buying two of each seat so we don't have to reinstall each time we switch cars... I plan to get a couple of Nautilus (Nautiluses? Nautili?) in a year or two.

Britax seats tend to work well with long buckle stalks because they're up so high on a base; can you not twist your stalks down? I haven't actually installed a TF yet, so I can't comment on that part of it. I only played with one at a store with my friend's baby and 6yo.
I have two buckle stalks in the center, and even if I twist both, the buckle gets caught on the edge of the belt path. I can't tighten it enough. But I've since learned that I should not twist both buckle stalks, so that makes it completely incompatible.

Now I wonder if the problem would actually be worse with the TF. Darn!

RJB78

CPST Instructor
Cristina - I'm in the market for a TF - where are you finding it for $160 shipped?!?

Oh, and in your situation, I'd wait for the new ones. :)

mommycat

I'd wait until the MA is outgrown, and then get one with the ARB. Or are you afraid that he will spurt to 34 lbs overnight and you will miss the sale?

Chex

I would totally wait for the ARB. I'm probably going to sell my MA and get a TF when the new ones come out!:)

pastrygirl

I'd wait until the MA is outgrown, and then get one with the ARB. Or are you afraid that he will spurt to 34 lbs overnight and you will miss the sale?
Nope, I'm not worried that he'll suddenly outgrow it. It's purely impatience and wanting a new seat to play with! :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC