Alright...about this SnugRide install I have...

Tara

I looked at the manual before (online as I have no idea where my copy is) and saw that it said for l/s belts with sliding latch plate, you are to use a locking clip. But I do not notice it mentioning anything about a retracting seat belt (sorry, one of these days I'll remember the term...switchable elr ?) the one you pull out all the way to engage the lock and it then makes the ratcheting sound as the slack is taken in. That's what we have.

So, if the belt locks, you don't need a locking clip, correct? But what if you're not satisfied with the fit you get with just the belt? That was also part of my issue before. It seems to continue to loosen which I can already tell with this install. The tech did get it in tighter than I had done previously, using just the belt. But it has already loosened a wee bit. Still an acceptable fit mind you, just not *as* tight. Which has me wondering how long would it take for it to loosen to 'unacceptable' ??
So, should I go ahead and put the locking clip on there? And if I do, do I then *not* engage the seat belt lock? I'm not supposed to use both, right? One or the other.

Here's the link to the manual for my seat: Graco Snugride manual

Tell me what you get from that and just what I'm supposed to do here, please ;)

ADS

griffinmom

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Here's what I do. If a seat has switchable lap shoulder belts, I don't lock them and use a locking clip. The belt path for the snugride is a difficult one when you use switchable belts. You can get a really tight install that way, but if the belt is switched, it just gets tighter and tighter. It isn't really loosening, the portion of the belt which goes back to the retractor is constantly pulling on the top edge of the base. It is actually tighter, but torqued around. So pretty soon, the baby is listing to one side.

I'm not a big fan of installing locking clips (I once broke my finger doing it!), but when I see a snugride and switchable belts, I just reach for a locking clip. I've found it is also a great way to get parents involved in installing their seat because it is easier to do with four hands rather than two.

Make sense?

Tara

So just forget the locking belt part and go with my clip?

And yeah, the other part makes sense..I think LOL I mean, in theory, I get it. But darn if it doesn't seem like it is completely loosening!

I didn't have too hard of a time installing with the locking clip before. I managed it on my own. I'm not too fond of working with those clips either though. Not easy. But, well, guess if it were *that* easy to get on there, it wouldn't work, right? ;)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I think sometimes it depends on the car too. It sounds like a locking clip would work best for you though. We had to use one in our old car when AJ was born b/c that Snugride was not staying on the seat for anything and then AJ was riding sideways. lol

Tara

Exactly! It just keeps sliding/tipping...
I'm going to re-install it with the clip when I get the chance.

So does that make a 'strike' on that tech? hehehe

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I'm trying to think of the ones I've done. I guess the ones I've done have pretty much all been LATCH or lap belts only. I need to keep that in mind though when doing that I can try it that way, but show the parents the locking clip too.

mom2acrew

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Pretty common practice to use a locking clip on l/s belts w/ switchable retractors to avoid tipping on a Snug Ride it works great though. It does take some getting used to. I find it easiest if you buckle the base in without locking the belt, tighten and pinch both belts together (near the latch plate but 3-4 inches back)with one hand and unbuckle w/ the other. While pinching place the locking clip on within an inch of the latchplate then climb on the base and wiggle the latch plate back into the buckle. If the locking clips ends up right on the bend of the seat base it can be slightly moved up to the flat part of the base.

Gosh I hope that makes sense. I think Heather (murphydog) may be working on a video of this which will probably help.

Tara

It's ok, I can do it. I *had* it installed with the clip when the tech lady said no. I explained my dilemma. She continued with installing with just the belt. I figured I'd give it a 'test drive' see how long it lasted. In case it actually *was* installed better than I had it. But no...so..I'm going back to what *I* did..the locking clip.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC